Overclocking memory voltages

worshipme

Golden Master
Hi, I'm in the process of OC'ing my PC (sig). My memory at stock settings runs at 800MHz 4-4-4-12 at 2.10V. So, I get to about 2.7GHz (2:3) whilst overclocking my CPU, with RAM running at 900MHz 4-4-4-12 2.10V, but to make the next step in the OC'ing process, I need to increase the memory voltage as otherwise it's a bit unstable under load. Is it OK to increase the memory voltage above the stock settings or will it overheat? Should I maybe change the ratio or the timings so I can continue OC'ing my CPU without changing the memory voltages.

if you have some decent cooling you should be okay. I like the Corsair Dominator DDR fans, they work nicely.

It's Ok, I've been able to keep going without increasing the voltages by changing the multiplier from 9 to 8. I'm up to 3.0GHz now with a 1:1 ratio with the RAM running at 750MHz I think. BTW another question. Would it be best to stay at a 1:1 ratio, with the memory not running as fast as it could, or use another ratio other than 1:1 where the memory would be running at max?

You could stay at a 1:1 ratio, but you could mess around with it and see if you can get get your ram higher, but with 750MHz, you won't notice a difference in my opinion

As Jason stated I would change the Memory Ratios to a 1:1 ratio. If you keep running that ratio your memory is going to hold you back from your maximum overclock on the cpu which is more important then ultra high ram speeds. Granted you should be able to get to 3.6ghz so 1:1 the ram would be running a straight 1:1 ratio @ 800 Mhz.

I'm not a big fan of over volting memory. If you give it to much it can cause errors in itself. I wouldn't go higher then 2.2 Volts even with a cooler. I run 2.1V with the spec's in my sig.

OK, I now have an incredibly annoying problem. I was going along fine with my OC, and then I reboot again to apply the changes, and for some reason, my keyboard isn't detected until it boots into Windows, where it works fine. I don't know the problem, and I can't enter the BIOS to check the boot order etc... BTW It's PS2.

Anyone? Is there maybe a program I can use to access my BIOS from the OS, or enter it without pressing the keyboard? Also, if I getted so annoyed that I just and get a USB KB, is this sure to be detected?

You may try clearing the CMOS and see if that fixes your problem. Clearing that up may also clear up your OC settings too so you may have to do it over. Maybe you accidentally changed something you didn't mean to? That's probably the only way to get it working again. It's definitely not a bad keyboard because you're able to use it in Windows.

You're going to need your motherboard manual to find where the CMOS RESET JUMPER and see in what position you have to set them to, to perform the reset procedure. Bring the CMOS RESET JUMPER in the right position and take all the time you need to do that. Now we're getting our hands dirty so-to-speak. Most likely, it's probably the only jumper on the motherboard :p. But to make sure, read the fine print under the pins to see if it reveals something like CMOS RESET or something similar. Check the manual how to short it out. All you do is inserting the little black jumper on top of a set of two pins.

If you have problems to find the CMOS RESET JUMPER and you don't know where it is, the battery will do the job also. Unplug your system, take out the battery. Leave the system at least for 5-10min without any power. Forget the MB for this time.

Now we can put back the CMOS RESET JUMPER in it's normal position or the BATTERY in it's place and connect the PC with the power cable.

Back
Top Bottom