Overclocking geforce 8 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, you take the FSB (Front Side Bus) and multiply it by the (dun-dun-dun) multiplier which is 9 at default.

For example, the stock setup is 244 x 9 = 2394MHz or 2.4GHz (yay rounding!).

So, if you want 3.0GHz (3000MHz) you divide it by the multiplier. Your multiplier is 9 so you get 333.33 repeating. I just like to round up so I did 334, it's all the same really.

If my memory serves me correctly, you just do the following:
Boot into BIOS
Go down to M.I.T.
Then set the overclock to Manual.
Change the FSB of 266 to 334.
Push F10 to Exit & Save Changes.
System should reboot and viola, you're overclocked.

Unless you have the LOGO screen disabled, you won't know it. But if you do disable it (under Advanced BIOS) this mobo actually shows you the math for the CPU. So before you even boot into windows you can verify that it's overclocked. It will read at the top of the screen something like Q6600 334x9=3.0GHz

*Also, you should disable C1E and EIST feature in the Advanced BIOS (along with the POST logo if you like, same section). This forces the overclock to be maintained at all times. Those features were released by intel to help conserved power consumption. So if you aren't completely utilizing your PC it could drop the multiplier to 6 rendering your FSB of 334 useless because then you're running 2.0GHz.

Oh, and the Ctrl+F1 thing you speak of is really only needed for tweaking RAM timings. It gives a few other advanced options, but that's the main thing is enables you to do in the BIOS.

hmm but why turn the power saving feature off if it automatically lowers the multiplier when your computer is not and use and highers it when it is? Why consume more power when you don't need it?

Maybe I will have to do something like that to get out that hot air later but for now I'm planning to do some moderate overclocking something like 600/930 from 576/900, I can't overclock really high because of ambient temps there is no air conditioner 24/7 here, only at night.

You should be able to bump the memory up higher because it has a lot smaller effect on temps than the core. I usually increase the memory in increments of 10. Thats just me though.

hmm but why turn the power saving feature off if it automatically lowers the multiplier when your computer is not and use and highers it when it is? Why consume more power when you don't need it?

Because it's a bit unpredictable. It's actually become better when used with EIST these days if you want to keep your CPU temps lower at idle.

But if you have them enabled, don't be surprised if some applications or games don't consecutively run at the same speed. It's a bit unpredictable, but like I said I believe has improved significantly recently. You can leave them enabled if you like, personal opinion.

Also, I think I was wrong about what they do. C1E lowers the voltage while EIST lowers the multiplier when the computer is idle.

hmm would you guys say my bottle neck is my stock q6600 or my 8800 gtx? ( meaning if I can only overclock 1, which should it be )

ummm i dont really get it. Neither of those are going to bottleneck the other, they are both high-end and fast. Why not just overclock both? I honestly don't understand why you are so worried about overclocking, it really is quite simple.

If anything, I'd say overclock the processor if you were only doing one. You can push your Q6600 to 3.0GHz from 2.4GHz stock voltage which is a good performance increase. But even stock they won't really bottleneck one another.

Just like ferarri said, stop asking questions and do it already. We've given you all the steps necessary. If you have problems actually doing it, post here and we will help you further. But it's getting tedious answering these what-if questions.

Seriously, this was the first computer I ever built in my life. I knew very little about computers before I built this and just from reading things here and experimenting, I now know quite a bit. I overclocked my cpu and my GTX with some experimenting, a little bit of time and by just listening to people here. I found that once I did it, it is pretty much just a trial and error thing. Just work slowly and you will have absolutely nothing to worry about. Its very, very simple. Just do it.

man, i want a p35, with my 680i the fsb wont boot over ~ 1450mhz

I think there might be something wrong with my 680i cuz i can' get the fsb even close to that. Are you bumping fsb voltage or something? Can you tell me what your settings are because we have somewhat similar systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom