Overclocking Conroe in windows

I have checked out the sticky on overclocking your computer. My situation is a bit different though. I've been through my BIOS and it looks like this is designed to be overclocked through windows. I have the ASUS P5N32 premium board. It includes a software called AI Booster. Is anybody familiar with this program. I tried to capture the image with the options menu but when I went to caputer it kicks that options menu out. So i'll explain the options I do have below.

Here is a screenshot of the program.

Aibooster.jpg

You can see it has the stock setting with the CPU X's the Clock multiplier. Clicking on the tuning panel brings up the following options.

Options not captured~

CPU MHz: Tuning the External Frequency from 266MHz-332MHz Currently set on auto.

CPU Voltage: 1.225V-1.6V Currently set on auto.

Memory Voltage: 1.8V-2.55V (My memory spec's below) Currently set on auto.

Also has a NOS setting were I can change performance between 105%-120%. I tried 120% and my CPU clock went to 2.8ghz. However I had posting problems so I want to do it manually and fine tune it for max performance. I know 2.8ghz isn't anything for overclocking on this processor. Also in the NOS panel it gives me the option to change the FSB. Options are 960/800, 1280/800, 1000/667, 1333/667, 1200/800, and 1600/800.

Currently I have everything set on auto but would like to tweak my system. I don't want to really screw something up so i'm hoping some people have some experience with this program. My current FSB is showing 1066.75 with auto settings on.

Thanks for all the help everybody i've finally got everything working good now its time to start playing!

MattieDaShark83 said:
CPU MHz: Tuning the External Frequency from 266MHz-332MHz Currently set on auto.

increase that. You increase that by 1 mhz and the clock speed should be increased by 9mhz.

MattieDaShark83 said:
I have checked out the sticky on overclocking your computer. My situation is a bit different though. I've been through my BIOS and it looks like this is designed to be overclocked through windows. I have the ASUS P5N32 premium board. It includes a software called AI Booster. Is anybody familiar with this program. I tried to capture the image with the options menu but when I went to caputer it kicks that options menu out. So i'll explain the options I do have below.

Here is a screenshot of the program.

Aibooster.jpg

You can see it has the stock setting with the CPU X's the Clock multiplier. Clicking on the tuning panel brings up the following options.

Options not captured~

CPU Voltage: 1.225V-1.6V Currently set on auto.

Memory Voltage: 1.8V-2.55V (My memory spec's below) Currently set on auto.

Also has a NOS setting were I can change performance between 105%-120%. I tried 120% and my CPU clock went to 2.8ghz. However I had posting problems so I want to do it manually and fine tune it for max performance. I know 2.8ghz isn't anything for overclocking on this processor. Also in the NOS panel it gives me the option to change the FSB. Options are 960/800, 1280/800, 1000/667, 1333/667, 1200/800, and 1600/800.

Currently I have everything set on auto but would like to tweak my system. I don't want to really screw something up so i'm hoping some people have some experience with this program. My current FSB is showing 1066.75 with auto settings on.

Thanks for all the help everybody i've finally got everything working good now its time to start playing!

My computer also came with that software, but I never use it anymore. It doesn't have all the options that my BIOS does. I would be shocked if they didn't have overclocking settings in the BIOS of that motherboard. Have you browsed around in the different categories? Mine is under something like "JumperFree Configuration." If yours has that, there should be some changeable settings there. If so, you should be able to reach much higher overclocks. But if it really is unable to do it through the BIOS, you could try the AI Booster thing. Just try to raise the CPU MHz little by little until 1) you're satisfied or 2) the computer becomes unstable. You may also need to increase the voltage, but I think AI Booster does a good job of finding a good one with AUTO. And I don't know much about the voltages of Conroes, so sorry. Good luck with it.

EDIT: Also google "Clockgen" and find a link to download it. You may just be able to get higher in Windows, but I won't guarantee it.

MattieDaShark83 said:
Well don't I need to adjust the other settings as I change the CPU frequency? Using that formula max would equate to 2.99Ghz. I was hoping to get at least 3.2Ghz

well as long as there isn't a setting to change the multiplier or you can't go higher than 332mhz that then it's the max you can get with that software. Changing the voltages won't have any effect on the clock speed.
But I'd check the bios again, there definitely should be overclocking stuff in there.

mammikoura said:
well as long as there isn't a setting to change the multiplier or you can't go higher than 332mhz that then it's the max you can get with that software. Changing the voltages won't have any effect on the clock speed.
But I'd check the bios again, there definitely should be overclocking stuff in there.

Changing voltage has a HUGE affect on clock speed. Not directly, but indirectly. Higher voltage = higher clock speeds. You will also need to raise your RAM voltage or relax your timings to accomodate your set divider. Just up the FSB in increments of 5 until you hit a wall then back off in 1s.

ownage said:
Changing voltage has a HUGE affect on clock speed. Not directly, but indirectly. Higher voltage = higher clock speeds. You will also need to raise your RAM voltage or relax your timings to accomodate your set divider. Just up the FSB in increments of 5 until you hit a wall then back off in 1s.

yes, I know that higher voltage allows for higher clock speeds. But increasing the voltage doesn't increase the clock speed, only allows you to keep pushing the cpu more and makes it more stable.

So if that program gives him the max of 9x 332 increasing the voltage won't change that.

Okay sorry I havn't replyed sooner but i've been rather busy. I'd like to put a screenshot of my bios up but i'm not sure how to do that. Do you guys just use your digital camera then upload the pics? Or is there somehow I can do a screen capture? Okay well anyways here's what I've found in the bios so far. I did order a couple books one being Building Extreme PC's, should help with my understanding a bit. Not sure if anybodys read it any good? http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780596101367&itm=3

Okay here are my options under my bios that I did write down.

Going to my advanced tab. Went to ~Jumperfree Config: Recieved the following options

Frequency control:
NorthBridge PCI frequency MHz 100min-200max
SouthBridge PCI Frequency MHz 100min-200max
I can also manually do my FSB 1056min-2100max
FSB turbo/memory turbo currently disabled

Voltage Control:All set on auto currently
Vcore
Memory
1.2v+t
CPU vt
Southbridge/Northbridge
Vcore over voltage disabled

Also have a option were I can change all memory timings currently 5,5,5,12

These are the main things I believe you were talking about there are alot of other options that I didn't list. Let me know if I can capture the bios image somehow and i'll take some screenshots.

I did play with that AI booster a bit going in 5 increments and got the external frequency up to around 296MHz before it crashed. So I was running around 2.63Ghz stable next 5 it crashed. Right now i've got it set back to auto I think i'll take everybodys advice and do it through the bios. Any tips till my book arrives?

Back
Top Bottom