Overclocking AMD FX-8150

skatrrklamp

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I'm fairly new to overclocking computers but the Crosshair V Formula makes very easy to do, my question is, I have my CPU overclocked to about 4.1Ghz and it stays steady at 52 degrees when running The Witcher 2, I'll only get a warning if it goes past 60 which is the default for this processor. I've searched for a few days trying to find if this is ok or if I should tone it down a bit. I know it varies from one processor to the next so if there's really no way to tell I understand. Thanks will be given to all who help.

I'd say the temps are a little on the high side, but nothing too terrible. What temps are you getting at idle for a comparison? And what are you using to monitor temps that's popping up a warning for 60c?

What are you using for cooling? If you are using the stock HSF, I'd suggest getting something aftermarket to help with temps.

Also, if you could get a CPU-Z screenshot that would be good, that way we can see what your multi/fsb/voltages are at.

I'd say the temps are a little on the high side, but nothing too terrible. What temps are you getting at idle for a comparison? And what are you using to monitor temps that's popping up a warning for 60c?

What are you using for cooling? If you are using the stock HSF, I'd suggest getting something aftermarket to help with temps.

Also, if you could get a CPU-Z screenshot that would be good, that way we can see what your multi/fsb/voltages are at.

I'm using ASUS Suite II software with the motherboard, at idle I run at about 40-45 degrees, and as far as the cooling goes I just got a cooler master case but it only came with 2 fans (Intake and Exhaust). I took a screen shoytbut it says the file is too big to upload, sorry like I said I'm kinda new at this but I've been wanting to get better at it.

Last edited:
What is your cooling and what volts? Your temps are fine, but if you have a stock cooler replace it.

I am running the stock heatsink for the CPU but I've read that the FX-8150 can actually O.C. to 4.6Ghz with just fans, what kind of fans is another thing entirely though

Volts are running at
1.4 V (CPU)
1.5 V (RAM)

If you need more detail let me know.

For a screenshot, you just need to hit the Print Screen key when you have CPU-Z up on the screen, then open paint and hit Ctrl+V or paste. Save image (crop if you like) and throw it up on an image hosting site, then post it here with the image feature using the URL.

It's easy enough to overclock that processor with fans as opposed to a water-based setup, but stock cooling is always less than desired. I'm not sure what the current "good" HSFs are though, I'd have to do some research (I'm a tiny bit out of the loop).

So the ASUS utility warns you when it hits 60c? You may be able to edit the alarm in the settings to have a higher threshold. As PP says, it's not really high at all...only a bit on the high side, nothing terrible.

Overall to answer your question though, I'd say you're fine with those temps if you modify the program to stop warning you at 60. Still recommend getting an aftermarket HSF though.

For a screenshot, you just need to hit the Print Screen key when you have CPU-Z up on the screen, then open paint and hit Ctrl+V or paste. Save image (crop if you like) and throw it up on an image hosting site, then post it here with the image feature using the URL.

It's easy enough to overclock that processor with fans as opposed to a water-based setup, but stock cooling is always less than desired. I'm not sure what the current "good" HSFs are though, I'd have to do some research (I'm a tiny bit out of the loop).

So the ASUS utility warns you when it hits 60c? You may be able to edit the alarm in the settings to have a higher threshold. As PP says, it's not really high at all...only a bit on the high side, nothing terrible.

Overall to answer your question though, I'd say you're fine with those temps if you modify the program to stop warning you at 60. Still recommend getting an aftermarket HSF though.

Thanks that's very helpful, one thing though is I'm not actually getting warning messages, I did once when I first built it but that was because I had an out of date case with zero chassis fans so I had to rig a clip on fan with my case open to keep it cool until my new case arrived:lol: but anyway it's running at 52 steadily while playing the witcher 2 with everything on high except ubersampling, so I think I should be good.

Also thanks for explaining how to paste screenshots into forum threads I've been trying to do that forever.

Well PP I tried giving you thanks again, but apparently you helped me on another topic and I guess I need to spread the thanks around a bit first so I hope just a thanks in this post is cool for now:p

No big deal lol.

I agree though, I wouldn't go any higher than that until you bought an aftermarket heatsink. Until then though, I would read up a lot more on understanding your hardware better and hardware in general before overclocking.

No big deal lol.

I agree though, I wouldn't go any higher than that until you bought an aftermarket heatsink. Until then though, I would read up a lot more on understanding your hardware better and hardware in general before overclocking.

Yeah I've been trying to research it a little more but it's a fairly new CPU so there's not a whole lot of info about it yet, but I will keep looking. I can connect up to 6 fans to this tower so I'll probably look into that, plus it has a place for a radiator on top, not a bad set up for the price I paid. Anyway thanks for all the help, I'm glad I found this forum people are quick to respond and don't treat you like an idiot like some forums do.

Back
Top Bottom