overclocking a q6600

clement71

Baseband Member
is it true that a q6600 can only reached 3.0 ghz when it is water cooled?? and does overclocking a processor always required it to be attached to a motherboard and using liquid nitrogen to cool it down??

You can get that without water cooled. The answer to the other question is no. Liquid nitrogen is not feasible at this point. It's purpose is experimental only. You can OC any CPU without having to use water cooling solution. Getting a good aftermarket heatsink/fan is a good start unless you just plan to OC the hell out of your system. That's where water cooling becomes a necessity.

The CPU sits in a socket that is permanently attached to the motherboard. OC or not.

i see... so how do you overclock any processor any way?? do you go into the bios and change the settings?? thats all there is to it in overclocking?

That's pretty much it. It's not that hard. You can bump up the voltage ever so slightly for some serious boost, or you can alter the FSB by changing the multipliers. Then there are controls to OC RAM too which I have never done in my life. I'm not big on overclocking. SHould I ever OC, I would give it a mild overclock of around 400MHz.

i see... so pretty much anyone that knows how to overclock just change a few numbers and its already to go?? it can take less than 5 minutues right?

Absolutely. Try playing around with it. I suggest you don't change the multipliers and all the rest of stuff too high the first time. Bump them up a little at a time to check for system stability. OC it too high, your system may crash on you and never boot. In that case, you need to reset your CMOS by shorting out the jumper or taking out the CMOS battery.

3200 is easy to achieve, if you don't have to mess with voltages.
8x Multliplier, and a 400mhz clock will give you this.
If you have PC2 6400 800mhz RAM, it'll also be running in sync at this speed.

Back
Top Bottom