Overclocking A GPU

jon the noob

In Runtime
I really want to overclock my GPU and it comes with this great program to do it (Catalyst Control Center, Radeon HD 3850) but I also wanted this card to last for a bit.. how much life does ocing take off of a card? Or a CPU? If I were to upgrade in one or two years, would it make a difference?

And also, what are optimal temps for idle and full load on GPUs, I'm usually about 40C Idle

thanks

atitool is the best ati overclocking tool.
GPU's can with stand upto 100c temps so 40 is fine

I overclock my nVidia 8600GT to the Speeds of the GTS And it runs great,It Wouldnt take all that much life of it.

Shat!

Yeah I've seen ATiTool and it's very neat. this is what my OCer looks like.

GPU.jpg

Tells me when I do too much, etc. Good for noobs like Jon.

also has current temps, which is handy

it might effect the life time of the video card a bit but it's nothing to worry about. Computer hardware is so unpredictable anyway, a video card might last 10 years with no problems yet a similar video card could blow up after 1 month of use.

Unless you are doing some crazy overclocking (huge voltage, advanced cooling etc) then you don't have to worry about shortening the life of the gpu/cpu.

As for temps, 40c idle sounds good. Usually I'd say that 100c under load is the max but it depends a lot. Even though almost all vid cards say max temp 100c+ I've seen artifacts when temps reach 80c. Again, depends on the video card and even similar cards have differences.

But as long as you don't get artifacts and the temps are under 100c then you should be fine.

the reduction in life time wont even be noticed.. to small.. but i use the overdrive utility in CCC and it works perfectly and is simple .. i like it way better then ATI tool or reva tuner.

i ruined my old card by overclocking. it was sort of like the picture was melted and pulled all over the screen

Shat!

Yeah I've seen ATiTool and it's very neat. this is what my OCer looks like.

GPU.jpg

Tells me when I do too much, etc. Good for noobs like Jon.

also has current temps, which is handy

What you see on that picture, 770 and 950 MHz, I completely maxed it out

This should be fine right? I tested it, and it said it passed so it must be

Back
Top Bottom