Overclocking a 5200+

syvmn1

Baseband Member
Just got all my computer parts from newegg and put it together. This was my first computer build so I am no longer a virgin. HURRAY!

And guess what...it works! I am amazed that I didn't screw something up.

I'm thinking about overclocking my AMD 2.7ghz 5200+ a bit. I don't want to do anything huge or fancy but if I can get it to 2.9ghz I will be happy. This is mostly just to get my feet wet so I can understand the process. I am just using the stock cooler for now so even if I can get .1ghz more I will consider it a success. I have a nice ASUS motherboard so I should have lots of BIOS settings to play with.

Can someone give me a starting point. What should I be changing first and also what programs should I get? I am running an XP machine with the AMD CPU and 4gigs of ram. Thanks for any help!

(BTW, I have a 250gig SATA HD and its only showing up as 127gigs? Does this have something to do with windows?)

Just got all my computer parts from newegg and put it together. This was my first computer build so I am no longer a virgin. HURRAY!

And guess what...it works! I am amazed that I didn't screw something up.

I'm thinking about overclocking my AMD 2.7ghz 5200+ a bit. I don't want to do anything huge or fancy but if I can get it to 2.9ghz I will be happy.

I find that overclocking is done best when you raise the FSB/Bus speed (Intel/AMD). When you go into your BIOS you should have an option to change the "Bus Speed". It should be set to 200Mhz on the start. Remember, by raising this speed yours also raising your Hyperthreading speed and then in effect your RAM as well. I have a 5600+ X2 Windsor core with the Bus speed on 215Mhz.

Because I have mine set at 215Mhz, my RAM is running at 430Mhz instead of 400Mhz. Effective - 860Mhz

Because I raised the Bus Speed, my Hypertransport speed is now 1075Mhz.
To find the Hypertransport Speed, multiply your Bus Speed by 5. That's the multiplier for the HT link.

And overall, because I have my Bus speed at 215 and the multiplier of the CPU at 14 stock, my CPU runs at 3010Mhz.

Many people just like to change the multiplier because it's easy but I find this way holds much better results as it raises more than just the CPU. (Increasing a potential bottle neck)

(BTW, I have a 250gig SATA HD and its only showing up as 127gigs? Does this have something to do with windows?)

When Window's installed onto your hard drive it probably did the same thing it did for me. It split the hard drive into two partitions. I even have the same size partition as you do!

Since I'm on Vista, this might be a bit different.
To fix it, go to your control panel, go to classic view, click on 'Administrative Tools' then to 'Computer Management'

On the left side you should see a option called 'Disk Management'
Click that menu and you should see your hard drive will have an unallocated space of around 104GB. Right click it and click Format and run through the options. Should take a while for it to format, but once it's done, you should have your 104GB more of your hard drive.

Back
Top Bottom