Overclocked too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayniac

Daemon Poster
So I thought I had a stable overclock, and at first everything seemed fine, but now I notice that my computer starts to lag when I type with too many windows in internet explorer open at once (too many as in 3). I'll type one letter, and it'll be a fraction of a second before it types it on the screen (longer than what I know it should be and what it used to be). Anyway, my question is simply this. Did I overclock too far and something is unstable, or is Windows XP maybe corrupt? For the record, I don't know how many BSODs I got while overclocking. I lost count.

Ungh... I was hoping I wouldn't have to reset everything. I am going to reformat Windows over the weekend anyway, so I'll look then.

I use the "torture test" to test with Prime95, right? So, if I do this, and it is stable for 12 hours or so, then I'm going to wait until after the reformat to see. But I am supposed to do the torture test, right?

yeah - it just runs your cpu at 100% capacity, and will stop if an answer provided is wrong (CPU made an error).
Of course, your CPU can plain stop during this, and I've seen CPU's die in prime95 testing, but if you're at 2.3GHz that shouldn't be too far for a 3000+ (500MHz right? Correct me if I'm thinking of something else).
Just check it every couple hours, but 12-24 hours should let you know if it's stable.

If it's already unstable then it'll immediately fail the calculation - then I'd turn it down :)

Yeah, it is overclocked 500 MHz. I managed to get that speed up to 2.4 or 2.5 before, but it wasn't that stable, and I didn't feel like messing with it. I mean, 2.3 GHz works good, and it isn't like I'll see a major change between that and 2.5 GHz when playing Half-Life 2. Besides, this way my HTT can be at 2000 MHz.

This shows that everything is running great. I'm going to assume that Windows has errored somewhere, because aside from laggy screens sometimes, my hard drive makes the sound like a duck on certain occasions, and it didn't used to. Hopefully a reformat will take care of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom