over heating...

RiverS

In Runtime
hey i was just playing a game then my temp gauge came up showing 60 degree's celcius...whats going on there! this is like the first time it has ever done it. I am not over clocking at all...(by the way its the psu not the cpu) although i did get a new case...maybe its time to upgrade to a liquad cooling system. Any help would be appresiated.

check that the fan is spinning like it should. Also u could clean all the dust, it would probably help quite much.

First of all, what processor do you have and are you using stock cooling? 60C isn't really overheating, it's just a little warm.
What I would suggest is taking your heatsink off and cleaning off the old thermal paste or thermal pad and apply some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to the cpu die (just a very very thin layer). Then, when you have the heatsink off, if there is some dust in there, blow it out with some compressed air. And as always make sure your case has adequate cooling as well, I would suggest at least one intake and one exhust fan.

depending on what processor you use, 60 degrees celcius may or may not be something you have to worry about. if you just got a new case, make sure wires aren't preventing quality airflow. the new case might lack ventilation which is definitely possible if it's only starting to happen now. don't get liquid cooling, you'll need to spend a good 200 if you want a quality one, anything less is just useless IMO.

kchi55 said:
depending on what processor you use, 60 degrees celcius may or may not be something you have to worry about. if you just got a new case, make sure wires aren't preventing quality airflow. the new case might lack ventilation which is definitely possible if it's only starting to happen now. don't get liquid cooling, you'll need to spend a good 200 if you want a quality one, anything less is just useless IMO.
Agreed....water cooling is not at all necessary unless you are a hardcore gamer that likes to overclock your pc to the extreme and you need some heavy duty cooling. I wouldn't waste my money on it if I were you.

I wouldnt call water cooling extreme. Extreme cooling is extreme. Im talking auto cascades, cascades, DICE, LN2 and the works. It gets more extreme than water cooling :p

Water cooling would be a pain for somoene like me.. my computer moves around a lot.. to lan parties and such. I don't need some heavy thing that I have to refill every time I move... uhahhg.

RiverS said:
hey i was just playing a game then my temp gauge came up showing 60 degree's celcius...... (by the way its the psu not the cpu) although i did get a new case...maybe its time to upgrade to a liquad cooling system. Any help would be appresiated.
I have yet to see a liquid cooled psu (Power Supply Unit), and if I read your post correctly that is what is overheating, yes?

What brand of psu is it? How many amps on the 12v rails? What are the rest of your system spec's?

On the off chance psu is a typo and you mean gpu (Graphic Processing Unit), it is hardly high, what video card do you have?

Deathstar said:
I have yet to see a liquid cooled psu (Power Supply Unit), and if I read your post correctly that is what is overheating, yes?

What brand of psu is it? How many amps on the 12v rails? What are the rest of your system spec's?

On the off chance psu is a typo and you mean gpu (Graphic Processing Unit), it is hardly high, what video card do you have?

yeah I also understood that it was the psu which was overheating.
It's possible to liquid cool a psu, but it's a do it yourself kinda thing. But it's not easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom