Over clocking the I5 2500K, Temps on each individual core 79 Celcius, Temps on CPU it's self hit 72.

I need some insight on a issue I had with my processor. I ran a test on my CPU, I had it OC to 4.5 Mhz. I have the I5 2500K with a massive after market heat sink. I looked at my four average core temps and they ranged from 74 Celcius to 79. The issue I had is when my mother board sent me a warning saying Warning CPU 72 Celcius. I stopped the test right there on spot. I was reading something that said the individual core temps that hit the mid to high 70's was fine, because the test was running the over clock at max settings and it didn't hit this level until two hours in to the test. My mother board shockingly stayed at 30 Celcius lol. I was baffled by this also. My friend watched on team viewer because he didn't believe it either and when he seen that, he was actually shocked. Now my question for anyone who knows anything about this. I won't ever pull my CPU that high again, but was my CPU still in a safe range at 72 Celcius and each individual core in the mid to high 70 celcius range??????? If so, or if not, can you please explain this to me because I am still learning Over clocking. I turned my fans to 100 percent all the time, when I did the test the fans were going the speed depending on the temprature. Thank you for your insight.

Mother Board is - [h=1]Asus - P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Desktop Motherboard - Intel Z68 Express Chipset - Socket H2 LGA-1155 [/h]Processor is-

I5 2500 K

Power supply is-

Crosair 700 Watt

Need to know what your cooler is, but at that speed it appears you might have too much voltage making it warm. Really though, these temps are fine on air. Under air at 4ghz my i5 750 ran closer 80c under full load on the reg.
On an H50 my temps were a bit cooler with a single fan at 4.5ghz. As for core vs full CPU temp, the temp probes for each core are literally getting the core straight off the temp. The temp probe for the whole CPU is on the IHS or is monitoring from the motherboards socket which is why it is cooler. Long as you aren't capping 80 you should be fine.
As for the motherboard temp itself, don't be surprised at that not warming up. Your CPU is what's getting hot, not your board.

Me and a few others can lead you to a stable but cooler OC. Just need your heatsink model and the volts you are running through the CPU.

Most people get nervous around the 80 mark. Personally, I never have. My i5 750 is still in use today after being pushed hard for 3 straight years. I was speaking of core and CPU temp in general. One thing to think about though, is if you are just gaming your CPU will never at 100% fully. If it does, it will be a spike and your temps wont really reflect it.

See that is what my friend was saying also. I only use it for gaming and I monitor it and I see its usually in the high 40s and low 50s (Celcius). So your saying I should be good to go. I will still get on either this evening or tomorrow evening and post the voltage that I am using.

Well I have a new question on this matter. I have been doing some investigating, can I get a stable 4.7 Ghz OC on the I5 2500K? I been curious about possibly doing it. Highest I have gone is 4.5 Ghz. If I blow the processor eventually, its no big issue. Ill just go out and buy another but I don't want to ruin anything else lol.

you won't notice the difference between 4.7 and 4.5
and yes, there are 2500k/2600k chips that won't pass 4.5 on air. every chip is different, there are no guaranteed speeds that's the thrill of overclocking.

One issue about which I see no reliable guide is the actual "acceptable operating temp" for both cores & the CPU.
Most monitoring programs allow the use of offsets which clearly suggests that the readings seen may need some "adjustment" to represent what is actually happening.
As a general rule in all electronics, 70 C is regarded as potentially dangerous, because electronic components begin to rapidly break down at an increasing & exponential rate starting around 70 C. Obviously a few seconds at these temps is unlikely to do real harm but the exposure can build over time especially for gamers who may routinely be operating around the high sixties.
I am unaware of any literature that suggests that CPU or individual core temps can withstand significant exposure beyond these levels.
Always willing of course to stand corrected.

Back
Top Bottom