Over Clocking cooling question.

ComputerWizard

In Runtime
I have an old Pentium comp that is overclocked at 200 something mhz I dont know how fast it is because, when i first got it i turned it on and the power supply blew, so im gonna get another one, I removed the fan and heatsink and removed glue off the Pentium i like the way it looks without the fan and heatsink on it. Cause i like computers without cases well some , i like this one because the mobo is small. Anyways my question is do i need the heatsink on it to run it again without overheating, I know its less convinent but i was planning on getting a fan to blow on it at full blast to cool it , I had an old 486 overclocked to 50mhz its normal speed was 25mhz so I took a window fan sat it on top of it set it to full blast and it kept it artic cold. So is it ok to run just a fan? I know its a dumb question but i love going to extremes!

Umm leave the heatsink and fan on for all i know unless you want a fine hair brush of you know what i mean

It will have a fan! thats for sure, but i guess what im really asking is is the heatsink necessary how does it "dissapate" the heat into the air off the chip
say i have a window fan blowing full blast on it will it still over heat its only a Pentium not like it gets as hot as a P4. The Pentium runs much cooler compared to todays chips!

yeah that's true, but a heatsink is still a must on every processor. The fins on the heatsink "absorbs" the heat so to speak and the fan on top of it help to draw that heat out. The case fans is like an exhaust where the heat trapped inside the case is blown out to reduce internal temp.

If you like it that cool, why don't you put you PC in the fridge.......If you like the look without the cooling, well don't use it.......Or maybe buy some dry ice and stick it to the CPU....be cool, don;t try to make a PIV with a PI, buy a new computer!

I have a good computer this is just a fun computer that im messing around with :p My real comp is great its a P4 2.8ghz HT 512mb RAM 160gig hd , Radeon X300 SE PCI express 128mb and burner drive and a card drive so, its not like this pentium computer is my main one is just an experiment

Back
Top Bottom