outlook express harrasment

Kitari

Solid State Member
For the past several days we have been randomly harrased by outlook express. At first i thought nothing of it popping up, I figured maybe someone started using the program on the computer, so i ignored it and asked about it later, Well it turned out noone used the program and since then it has gotten worse. It randomly pops up, usually when Im typing, generally if i make a major istake typing and hit the backspace button. Occasionally it pops up with no keys being hit.

I am using HP windows XP. Ive run my malware, spyware, and antivirus as well as tried to find the file to delete and so far have run into dead ends all together, when i search for it under programs its not there, but it shows up during a regular search but wont let me delete it...

this is the result of my malware scan and fix

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.32
Database version: 1617
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

2/23/2009 3:01:34 PM
mbam-log-2009-02-23 (15-01-34).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 158018
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 27 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 8
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ModuleUsage\c:/windows/downloaded program files/popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{c9c5deaf-0a1f-4660-8279-9edfad6fefe1} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{e4e3e0f8-cd30-4380-8ce9-b96904bdefca} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{fe8a736f-4124-4d9c-b4b1-3b12381efabe} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{df780f87-ff2b-4df8-92d0-73db16a1543a} (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\popcaploader.popcaploaderctrl2.1 (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs\C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll (Adware.PopCap) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Is it giving you a message such as it's wanting to free up space?

If yoou're not using the program, uninstall it by going to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components. Select Outlook Express for removal.

No, it just brings up the program with a click it to create an outlook express e-mail and whatnot, shows a 1 in the inbox that says "welcome to outlook express"

And trust me Ive been through my add/remove programs so many times trying to find it for removal i could probably list everything on there from memory. Its not there.

I do a basic search for it, and it shows up on there but when I try to delete it it tells me that it is in use by another program/person and to close all applications that may be using it and try again.

No I havnt I will definatly give it a try.

Ok, i finally managed to finish with it. It was a bit nerve wracking, especially when i thought i deleted the wrong section.

worse than when my computer got bombarded with a Trojan in my active memory. i swear my side of the computer is like Fort compared to the other user's security, so far no more pop ups, but I am randomly hearing a sqeaky sounds when i hit the backspace and the p and o button. so im assuming the computer is telling me its no longer available

Back
Top Bottom