Other Uses of SMPT [Gmail Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
http://weblogs.asp.net/nleghari/articles/gmailbackup.aspx
For Link.

Basically it automatically uploads a folder from your computer into your gmail account file by file.

Gmail stores 2.7 GBs of Data as I'm typing this.
10 accounts x 2.7gb storage = 27 GB Total storage. With 100 invites available:
100 accounts x 2.7 gb storage = 270 GB total storage.

Now I know that would be hardcore. But Gmail is a very great service from google. Download speeds are about 400kbps on a 2.8 MBPS Cable Modem.

What I'm amused is that automated uploading. Rather than composing a message in gmail, and adding the attachments one by one (very time consuming) this software can do it one by one.

Which gave me an idea for other uses: Flickr and Youtube, for storing photos and videos.

Normally in Flickr (and Youtube) you'd have to browse the file one by one to upload them (and you still have to). Now imagine if we could just create a folder to upload online, drop off all the files we want to upload in that folder. Run the automated upload software, do other things like sleep or work on your computer. This could save alot of time, specially since I usually spend hours a week uploading pictures one by one.

I now that smpt clients are for emails and such, but i was wondering if there was a utility similar to this but instead uses it for Flickr or Youtube?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Is there like a way to automatically batch download files in your mail? Lets say I have a 10-page report, I can either open up each email, wait a few seconds for gmail to scan for viruses then download it. Then teh same process again for the next file until I reach 10 files. Assuming the average speed per page is 10 seconds, it would take me 100 seconds to download 10 files.

Also is there like a way to merge file attachments so I can just click "download all attachments"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom