OS Survey - Please Take!

What is your ALL AROUND favorite Operating System to use?

• Linux

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Microsoft

• Mac

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteFlare

Baseband Member
I am taking a Technical Writing course in College for my associates degree in IT. We have to write an argument paper on an IT subject, mine is on Open Source (Linux) VS. Proprietary (Windows and Mac). We need to make interviews with people in the career field along with giving a survey to a group of people.

Please fill out the survey below:
----------
Have you ever used all three (Linux, Windows, Mac) Operating Systems?
Yes
No (If "No," please specify which you have not used)

When it comes to an Operating System for a Desktop PC, which OS is most useful for you?
A. Linux (please specify the flavor)
B. Windows
C. Mac

When it comes to an Operating System for a Server, which OS is the most secure and resource efficient?
B. Windows Server
C. Mac Server

What is your favorite thing about Linux (if you have used)?

What is your favorite thing about Windows (if you have used)?

What is your favorite thing about Mac (if you have used)?

POLL:
The Poll is for your all around favorite Operating System to use, with all things considered.

---------

1. Yes
2. Windows
3. Ubuntu
4. epic customisability
5. Support, stability.. Just plain ol' used to the OS
6. Expose, Spaces, the Dock, Installing / Uninstalling a small program (like Firefox), Ease of setup / use

1. No. Used Windows and Linux, never Mac.
2. If you're not a gamer Ubuntu. If you're a gamer then Windows.
3. Debian.
4. Stability, security, customisability, easy to install programs, free.
5. Games, hardware compatibility
6. Never used it.

1. Yes
2. Windows 7
3. Open BSD
4. Cost, low hardware requirements, flexibility
5. Software support, hardware support, aesthetics, stability
6. None

I would not say Linux I would say unix instead because that prity much get's Solaris and BSD in there too, OSX is in the middle when it comes to open source using BSD licensed code and there own in house stuff be it 100% new code or remains of NeXT and a few other projects apple have bought out over the years, it has a unix base and is POSIX compliant.

1. No, never used a Mac.
2. Windows.
3. Linux.
4. Brilliant customisability, much more efficient.
5. Ease-of-use, stability, customisability, gaming abilities.
6. N/A

----------

Yes - I have multiple box's and VM's in my lab / fun room.

When it comes to an Operating System for a Desktop PC, which OS is most useful for you?
A. Linux - Unix in general, I spend most of my time in some form of unix mostly one of the BSD's
B. Windows - nice and simple interface with the most commercial application base.
C. Mac - Nice and simple, I am by no means a macboy but I do enjoy using them for simplicity and limmited hardware options, the mac mini is VERY useful for some applications I like to put small machines too.

When it comes to an Operating System for a Server, which OS is the most secure and resource efficient?
A. Linux - unix in general but that is just my choice, out of the box it is more secure as long as you don't run as root, I would also do alot more besides as security is my thing.

What is your favorite thing about Linux?
If you have about a year I could go into real depth but mostly, opensource and interesting application development not to mention deployment cost's, show me a windows admin on a tight budget and a open mind I will show you a productive admin.

What is your favorite thing about Windows?
Windows has alot going for it, despite what rows me and Mak have over this I am willing to give it that MS has given the business world just what they wan't they might not lead the pack but they try and get things right and one BIG thing they have got right is the UI mostly self explanatory.

What is your favorite thing about Mac ?
Well the BSD basis is one and another is well designed application suit that ships with the OS, And I have to give them credit they like to experiment and do some rather nice code, just a shame there attitude to security sucks.

1 - Yes. I've used all 3 extensively.
2 - Linux. (Ubuntu)
3 - Linux. (so many to list... debian, centos, ubuntu, they're all pretty solid)
4 - Extremely solid community of helpful users.
5 - Gaming.
6 - There's not a lot I "like" about my Mac... I'll answer this question as "N/A"

Yes

B. Windows
has the most app support. everybody develops for windows.

BSD, this answer is based on what i've read many years ago. my research may be outdated.

What is your favorite thing about Linux (if you have used)?

cost, hands down.

What is your favorite thing about Windows (if you have used)?

usability. Linux is catching up but not quite there. I find it sad that linux has to mimick MS's OS feature set to gain more marketshare. However, I think this proves that Windows is the most easy to use OS around. Otherwise, I think ppl would use linux because its free. Please note that usability ties back to app support. The more easy to find, install, and use applications it has, the more popular it will become.

What is your favorite thing about Mac (if you have used)?

hate it. how the heck do you expect me to use a computer with only one mouse button. thats absurd, i swear. Possibly the main reason i dislike mac is because i know less about it and i don't feel like learning more about it so i'll stick with Windows. This could be described as brand loyalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom