OS laptops capable of downloading software online.

Dpinkston91

Solid State Member
So, I’ve been researching a bit on notepad++, which is the software I’d like to use to begin my code journey. I was considering the purchase of a chrome book from walmwrtto do this on, until I realized that chrome OS’s do not support the download of open source software. I’m interested in being very frugal and basic about the laptop I purchase for this and would like some recommendations/suggestions on the type of laptop that would download this program, or any other software I might want to use.

My spending limit is $175-$225.

Thanks in advance!

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Idk if they still are, but Best Buy was selling these really crappy HP laptops for 200 bucks that had W10, 4GB of RAM, a dual core AMD APU, and a 128GB NVMe SSD.

strollin

Knowitall!
For as little as you want to spend, you'd probably be better off with a used laptop which would give you more bang for your buck. I recently sold a fully functional, Toshiba 15 inch laptop with a 500GB ssd, 3rd gen i7 cpu, 12Gb RAM, W10 and a DVD burner for $225.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
I'll jump in as well to the software bit you mentioned: Notepad++ is great and I use it for quite a lot of things, but for development - VS Code will be better for you, especially with add-on / snippet / source control support.

Top Bottom