Optimizing

spacecadet11

In Runtime
Hello. I would like to know..since I do not know much now..how to optimize my computer when it comes to the speed of my internet experience.

How does one know how 'truly' fast a particular download event is taking place and how to set the computer to make it as fast as possible?

Any suggestions or responses are welcome.
Bye
SC

There's a ton of variables. Depends where you download from and even the time of day if your referring to speed in that sense. If you want to know what your speed is from a known source every time, then I use Speed Test.
http://www.speedtest.net/
Personally, I've never had much luck increasing my connection speed with changing the MTU settings in my pc. Getting a better modem than the one supplied by your ISP will help if your ISP allows you to have your own modem.
Using a different server, other than your ISP's server helps too. I used to use Open DNS
Internet Security or DNS Service for your Business or Home - OpenDNS
but I currently using AT&T and I'm stuck with what they make me use til next spring when I can go back to Comcast

Hello. I would like to know..since I do not know much now..how to optimize my computer when it comes to the speed of my internet experience.

How does one know how 'truly' fast a particular download event is taking place and how to set the computer to make it as fast as possible?

Any suggestions or responses are welcome.
Bye
SC
Best way, is make sure you're hard wired, make sure no program (or worse virus/spyware/malware) is hogging your internet, have a decent router or modem, and if you're gaming use servers close to your location.

Your speed varies greatly on where you're downloading from, but a good indication to see if you're getting the speed you're paying for (what your package is rated for) is to use speedtest.net like Joe suggested, or the speakeasy speed test. Just take note that those only will tell you how fast your connection is, and how fast you can potentially download from other servers. Every server you download from will vary in speed due to their own connection and how far you are from the server. Same goes for ping. The further the distance, the more ping.

There's a ton of variables. Depends where you download from and even the time of day if your referring to speed in that sense. If you want to know what your speed is from a known source every time, then I use Speed Test.
Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
Personally, I've never had much luck increasing my connection speed with changing the MTU settings in my pc. Getting a better modem than the one supplied by your ISP will help if your ISP allows you to have your own modem.
Using a different server, other than your ISP's server helps too. I used to use Open DNS
Internet Security or DNS Service for your Business or Home - OpenDNS
but I currently using AT&T and I'm stuck with what they make me use til next spring when I can go back to Comcast
You can use Google DNS on Uverse.

You can use Google DNS on Uverse.

I'll check that out...although I not too keen on the tracking record that Google abuses
I do use Google but that's not saying I trust Google

EDIT.
My 2Wire modem/Router does not have any options to change the DNS servers.

Last edited:
I'll check that out...although I not too keen on the tracking record that Google abuses
I do use Google but that's not saying I trust Google

EDIT.
My 2Wire modem/Router does not have any options to change the DNS servers.
Anything you use will track you, as ATT is part of the CCI monitoring system. If you have a Verizon phone at all, they are part of Prism.

You change the DNS through your adapter.

Yup.... I can change the DNS at my pc, I would prefer change it at the modem. If I change it at my router to Open DNS, I can't get on line
I can use Open DNS at my router with Comcast but not AT&T

That's because of how they route it. Although, it's literally no different than changing on the adapter itself. All I can say there is, whatever works.

Using Google DNS was part of what got me past the Hilton's charging server lol. I'm still using Google actually.

Back
Top Bottom