optical drive fried?

winslow33

Daemon Poster
Hello

I started burning some data onto a DVD+R drive for my friend. half way through burning, the software (Roxio Creator DE) reported that it stopped after saving 1.2 GB onto the disk. thinking it was an issue with the software, I tried taking out the disk. I pushed the eject button but nothing happened. When I turned off the computer, I inserted a paperclip into the little emergency eject hole and pried it open with a knife. took out the DVD, restarted (took lothnger than normal to boot), and went to My Computer,and what do you know but the DVD drive doesnt show up. Same in Device Manager... So I pop the drive open (the button worked this time), put in a CD-ROM, and went to My Computer again, no luck.Go to take the CD out again, drive wont open...

So, it opens when theres no disk in the drive, but when i put one in it wont come open again. And as far as the computers concerned theres no CD/DVD drive in the thing!
I looked in the BIOS, it shows up there. Checked the cables, all good on that frontier. Looked for a driver update, no luck. As a final resort I opened system restore, but I dont have any restore points to go back to before this happened. :mad:

Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom