Optical Device VS Ext. Hard Drive

I would go for an external SSD. A bit more expensive but much more robust and a faster access time than a mechanical HDD. All HDD have a finite lifespan and the answer is much the same answer to the question how long is a peice of string. I have hardrives that are ten years old and I have hard drives pack up after a very short time even within the guarantee period. Back up back and back up again is the answer. The cloud is the most reliable but also, by far, the mostexpensive.

Well, I'd go with the external harddrive...mainly because I don't have to go looking for a disc when I need anything, and everything is in one place.... It will be more dependable, because discs may suddenly go kaput at any time, and yes, their lifespan is likely to be longer than discs. So I vote for the HDD.
I can't think of a single "benefit" to utilising CDs. Yes, they are inexpensive, but they take up so much more room and are so readily scratchable that the "positive" is rendered meaningless. Thank you for visiting our Tech site AJDpark and learning more about CDs ad DVDs.

I would go for an external SSD. A bit more expensive but much more robust and a faster access time than a mechanical HDD. All HDD have a finite lifespan and the answer is much the same answer to the question how long is a peice of string. I have hardrives that are ten years old and I have hard drives pack up after a very short time even within the guarantee period. Back up back and back up again is the answer. The cloud is the most reliable but also, by far, the mostexpensive.
Actually IMHO....I think an M-Disc is the best for long term storage. Up to 100gb capacity for 1000 yrs.
Unlike traditional optical media, which utilize dyes that can break down over time, data stored on an M DISC is engraved on a patented inorganic write layer – it will not fade or deteriorate. This unique engraving process renders these archival grade discs practically impervious to environmental exposure, including light, temperature and humidity. https://www.verbatim.com/subcat/optical-media/m-disc/m-disc-bdxl/
Although for temporary and portable storage for music and video then I agree that an SSD is a better option.

Well, I'd go with the external harddrive...mainly because I don't have to go looking for a disc when I need anything, and everything is in one place.... It will be more dependable, because discs may suddenly go kaput at any time, and yes, their lifespan is likely to be longer than discs. So I vote for the HDD.
I can't think of a single "benefit" to utilising CDs. Yes, they are inexpensive, but they take up so much more room and are so readily scratchable that the "positive" is rendered meaningless. Thank you for visiting our Tech site AJDpark and learning more about CDs ad DVDs.
I have ten-year-old hard drives that fail after a short length of time, even though they are still under warranty. The solution is to go back up and back up again. The cloud is the most dependable, but it is also the most costly.

Back
Top Bottom