opinions please on my new built.

ck_34

Baseband Member
Sup guys. i need some opinions on this new computer built that im planning.

First of all im didn't plan on a new built. im only doing this cuz im an idiot. lol.

my old set up:
amd 2500+ barton (OC to 2.0ghz, 2700+)
asus a7n8x deluxe mobo
ati radeon 9600pro
1.5gb corsair ram
19" WS monitor at 1440x900 display.

My PSU that came with my antec case finally started to screech real bad after almost 8 years of use. so i bought a new PSU last week. when it came i tried to install it but can't. the new ATX style power plug won't fit the old style ATX slot. so i felt like an idiot now buying it while not up to date since the day (2003) i built it.

So now i just want to put my new PSU to use (cuz i don't want to buy it for nothing) and finally get a big upgrade.
this is what im thinking:
-Intel C2D E7200 (might OC to 3.16ghz, yup i did my research a lil, e7200 is a good for OC)
~Asus P5Q Pro Turbo mobo click here for details
~Nvidia GeForce 9800GT click here
~Corsair XMS 4GB ram click here
~same monitor
~with this power supply ----> click here

So my question is, can the PSU that i already have (new) can support this setup. Im not a hardcore gamer but i do look forward to play CS:Source and the new call of duty games, since my old can't handle none of that.

Im also considering this GeForce GTS 250 GPU with the same PSU. im planning to stay with the Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU and also the Asus mobo. remember, the only thing i bought so far is the PSU.

Any opinions would be greatly be helpful. Thank You!!!

The motherboard you chose is Crossfire. If you plan on adding another card later, you want to get a SLI motherboard. The PSU chose should do you well. The 250 is nothing but a rebranded 9800 from what I hear. Overall, it's a good build. Should last you a couple of years or more.

i dont think he would do overclocking a CPU with 400watts

my cousin has the dame PSU with

Phenom II

9600gt highe end mobo and ddr3 RAM and it is going on overload some times

Thanks for feedback. but no i will not being going SLI or Crossfire.

i dont think he would do overclocking a CPU with 400watts

my cousin has the dame PSU with

Phenom II

9600gt highe end mobo and ddr3 RAM and it is going on overload some times

My setup will be ddr2 ram. I also hear that 400W doesn't matter as much as the quality of it. This PSU has really good reviews.

what im saying is to get something with a little more wattage for upgradability

as quoted by another member

Spend as much money as you can afford on the PSU it is the thing powering your computer

Sup guys. i need some opinions on this new computer built that im planning.

First of all im didn't plan on a new built. im only doing this cuz im an idiot. lol.

my old set up:
amd 2500+ barton (OC to 2.0ghz, 2700+)
asus a7n8x deluxe mobo
ati radeon 9600pro
1.5gb corsair ram
19" WS monitor at 1440x900 display.

My PSU that came with my antec case finally started to screech real bad after almost 8 years of use. so i bought a new PSU last week. when it came i tried to install it but can't. the new ATX style power plug won't fit the old style ATX slot. so i felt like an idiot now buying it while not up to date since the day (2003) i built it.

So now i just want to put my new PSU to use (cuz i don't want to buy it for nothing) and finally get a big upgrade.
this is what im thinking:
-Intel C2D E7200 (might OC to 3.16ghz, yup i did my research a lil, e7200 is a good for OC)
~Asus P5Q Pro Turbo mobo click here for details
~Nvidia GeForce 9800GT click here
~Corsair XMS 4GB ram click here
~same monitor
~with this power supply ----> click here

So my question is, can the PSU that i already have (new) can support this setup. Im not a hardcore gamer but i do look forward to play CS:Source and the new call of duty games, since my old can't handle none of that.

Im also considering this GeForce GTS 250 GPU with the same PSU. im planning to stay with the Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU and also the Asus mobo. remember, the only thing i bought so far is the PSU.

Any opinions would be greatly be helpful. Thank You!!!

just so you know, you can still use that psu with your current motherboard, it would be a good idea to upgrade, but it isn't a case where you have to, the 24 pin power plug is really a 20 +4 pin, you can disconnect the extra 4 pins to plug it up to an older motherboard which only takes 20 pin power connectors...

also, if he's using that psu he probably isn't thinking about SLI so the motherboard choice is fine, if not a little expensive for the features it has, you can get a similar motherboard (even an ASUS one) for under $100 with the same chipset and overclocking abilities, like this P5Q SE Plus for under $85.00 after MIR...

Nice build. :D

You'll do fine using the Corsair 400W PSU in that build. It's a good, high quality unit. I don't see you having any problems even if you do decide to overclock. It wont be enough though if you go with the GTS 250 as they require at least 450W w/24A @ 12V.

just so you know, you can still use that psu with your current motherboard, it would be a good idea to upgrade, but it isn't a case where you have to, the 24 pin power plug is really a 20 +4 pin, you can disconnect the extra 4 pins to plug it up to an older motherboard which only takes 20 pin power connectors...

but the ATX plug won't go into the slot. The plastic piece connector doesn't match up. there are squares plastic (around the pins) for some pins and there are square with corners on some pins. Hard to explain by words. It just doesn't slide in for the pins to touch each other.

That plug should work on the A7N8X Deluxe with out any problems. It's just a standard ATX connector with a breakaway 4 pin section for the newer 24 pin motherboards. You need to disconnect the 4 pin section and it should just pop right in. Make sure you have the connector the right way around.

AFAIK, the GTX 250 is a rebranded 9800GTX, so go for that over the 9800GT since they are the same price.

The PSU should be fine IMO, the E7200 doesn't draw a lot of power even overclocked and you're not planning on SLi/CF.

Back
Top Bottom