Opinions on this computer....

I like blue

Solid State Member
Hi,
I'm thinking of building a computer but I don't know whether this is going to be any good for games.
This will be the first computer I build.
Here are the specs:
Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM SE iG31 Socket 775 onboard Graphics audio mATX
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core (E6700) 3.2GHz Processor with 2MB L2 Cache and 1066MHz FSB (Boxed)
PSU: Corsair CX 500W ATX2.2 Power Supply
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB (1x2GB) Memory Module 1066MHz PC2-8500 DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 240-pin DIMM

I also will be using two IDE hard drives, IDE DVD burner and a floppy drive.

Opinions are welcome.

Frankly, no. I see a huge bottleneck for that card.

Pentiums are definitely not gaming chips, by any stretch of the imagination. 2GB is barely any RAM these days, especially if you plan running Win7.

IDE Drives are no good for games, the transfer speeds are too slow for most games after around 2008. IDE burners are fine, but floppys are largly obsolete these days.

You're going to need to up your budget a reasonable amount to get good framerates in any modern games. SATA is basically a must these days for hard drives, and the minimum RAM you really want in a gaming rig is 4GB, and i've found this is pushing it a bit (6GB recommended personally).

That is a good graphics card, but it's going to be held back by the chip and RAM you've selected are going to make your PC run like it's using a crap GPU anyway.

Give us your budget and we'll give you a good build :)

My budget is around £300 and btw ill be running xp.
And I already have the DVD burner.

Right, i can get you a lot better for £300

Mobo: Scan.co.uk: Asus M4A78LT-M AMD 760G AM3 Motherboard
CPU: Scan.co.uk: AMD CPU Athlon II 250 Dual Core Processor - ADX250OCGQBOX
RAM: Scan.co.uk: Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop - CMX4GX3M2A1600C9
GPU: Scan.co.uk: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Super Clocked 1GB NVIDIA Graphics Card - 01G-P3-1373-ER
HDD: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1000...als-caviar-blue-sata-3gb-s-7200rpm-32mb-cache

Keep that same PSU you mentioned, dont get much better than Corsair. Do you have a case already? That might be a little over budget but it's worlds better than what you had in your OP.

or if cash is tight, consider this

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-265-OK

One of the best budget prebuilts i've ever come across, and it's dirt cheap. My brother has one, managed Dead Space 2 etc. on ultra at 60fps no problems. With the GPU included its around £320. IF you remove the Windows 7 preinstalled it goes down to 239.99.

Ram only 2GB for gaming you'll need a bigger one. It's not a very good computer for gaming have a look at the parts from the comment above me.

Back
Top Bottom