Opinions on a gaming computer build

Yeah I thought about bing cash back but I like newegg alot so I didn't mind. And what If I have a hard drive with windows already installed. Does that mean I don't need to install it on the other drive?

Dual because I bought the dual channel ram before I realized the i7 used triple and it was too late to return it so I'm stuck with it as of now until I can buy another set of ram.

I also have an i7 930 with only dual channel and this works absolutely fine without any problems but i would like to get the triple channel at some point

Yeah I thought about bing cash back but I like newegg alot so I didn't mind. And what If I have a hard drive with windows already installed. Does that mean I don't need to install it on the other drive?

You only need to install the OS on one drive, but don't use a hard drive from another computer with an OS pre-existing on that particular drive. You'll want to load the OS on the new computer or you'll run into problems.

For example, old drive & new drive.

Old Drive has an OS on it, but it also has user data you want to keep.

New drive is blank, but is supposed to be the storage drive.

Connect your new drive to the old computer and transfer the data you want to keep, then move them both to the new computer, except keep the new one disconnected for now.

Format the old drive & load Windows (or whatever OS is your choice) on to the smaller, old drive. When the install is complete, connect the new drive and you'll have access to your data.

If you're just going to use the single new drive on its own, then obviously just install it and run everything from it.

I'm not trying to make it complicated for you, just offering some ideas on managing data so you can distribute it, minimizing loss in the event of failure. The chances of one drive dying are nominal, but two drives at the same time, even if one is older, is pretty slim.

Back
Top Bottom