Opinion on buying i5 and i7 dual core laptops

krazyq

krazy Techie
Hey guys,

So at my work
they'be been ordering i5 and i7 dual core laptops.
They get the i7 for high end users, I was wondering if there's a big difference from i5 to i7 if it's at 2 cores.
I"m not sure if they're trying to save money or they just don't know.
Will the apps even use the other cores?
Like I have a i5-5300U, 2 cores, 5 processors.
I think my co worker who's a dev has an i7 that's 2 cores as well.
Let me know if there would be a big jump in performance or barely any.
My new manager is younger and will listen to my ideas and advice compared to previous management.

Right now we order Lenovo T470 Laptops

Thanks

Last edited:
Terrible idea to buy one of these now. Wait for 8th gen mobile CPUs to come out, because they're not far away, and they'll ALL be true quad cores.

If they're business laptops and you'd be getting U processors those are already out. The problem with keeping 4 cores at a low 15W TDP is the fact that their base clock is pretty low. If you don't have a lot of bloat in your image I don't really think a quad is truly necessary, although it wouldn't hurt for those that really need it. I'm rocking a Skylake U i7 on my work laptop and although their image is slow as **** the laptop holds up decently. If your image does have bloat, encryption, and users use a lot of Office products I suggest a minimum of 16GB of RAM though.

If they're business laptops and you'd be getting U processors those are already out. The problem with keeping 4 cores at a low 15W TDP is the fact that their base clock is pretty low. If you don't have a lot of bloat in your image I don't really think a quad is truly necessary, although it wouldn't hurt for those that really need it. I'm rocking a Skylake U i7 on my work laptop and although their image is slow as **** the laptop holds up decently. If your image does have bloat, encryption, and users use a lot of Office products I suggest a minimum of 16GB of RAM though.

i've been suggesting the i7 quads for the devs or high end users who have a gazillon spreadsheets open.
The i7s we've been getting so far were all dual cores.
And yeah 16gb of ram too.
I can't stand our encryption software, always breaks stuff when a new windows build comes out.
What do you guys use for encryption? we currently use checkpoint but have been looking for better options

i've been suggesting the i7 quads for the devs or high end users who have a gazillon spreadsheets open.
The i7s we've been getting so far were all dual cores.
And yeah 16gb of ram too.
I can't stand our encryption software, always breaks stuff when a new windows build comes out.
What do you guys use for encryption? we currently use checkpoint but have been looking for better options
Whole damn company uses **** *** Mcafee for AV and encryption. It literally breaks half of what we do on each build iteration and patching cycle.

I've never seen spreadsheets use a high amount of CPU usage, but large ones can use a ton of RAM.

Whole damn company uses **** *** Mcafee for AV and encryption. It literally breaks half of what we do on each build iteration and patching cycle.

I've never seen spreadsheets use a high amount of CPU usage, but large ones can use a ton of RAM.

lol yup
vpn just broke with the latest checkpoint version for build 1709
i was the first one to figure it out.
we don't even have a proper procedure for testing things
good thing its easy to roll back to an earlier build of windows without anything breaking.
had to do it twice and was successful

Hey guys,

So at my work
they'be been ordering i5 and i7 dual core laptops.
They get the i7 for high end users, I was wondering if there's a big difference from i5 to i7 if it's at 2 cores.
I"m not sure if they're trying to save money or they just don't know.
Will the apps even use the other cores?
Like I have a i5-5300U, 2 cores, 5 processors.
I think my co worker who's a dev has an i7 that's 2 cores as well.
Let me know if there would be a big jump in performance or barely any.
My new manager is younger and will listen to my ideas and advice compared to previous management.

Right now we order Lenovo T470 Laptops

Thanks
hey I have been using i7 with 16 GB RAM for rendering videos as well as 3D programs and thats like 3 years now

Back
Top Bottom