OMG what HAPPENED to TF?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
The short version of Trotter's Reply Is This.....

Don't put words in my mouth, Harper. I said what I said, nothing more.

TF has made changes, but the rules have not changed, nor are they going to change. Somethings, like profanity and flaming, are just not allowed.

I was thinking this exact thing after I posted yesterday. I have noticed that quite a bit of Mod activity is concentrated to OT, and things should not have to be this way. OT is a place for quite a few useless posts. I think that is ok, as long as people are keeping an eye on THEMSELVES. If anyone wants to keep OT around, every member that posts in the OT section needs to start using their brain a tad more before they do so.

If there is one thing that I have learned here in the past month is that people in general, my self included, need to STOP QUESTIONING DELETED POSTS AND BANNED MEMBERS. As Trotter pointed out, people aren't being banned just for the heck of it. I was convinced that things were getting out of hand here with the banning of members that I held in high esteem, until I found out the REASON why they were banned. The mods are mods because they know how to do their jobs.

Agreed. If this is a just a big dump for stupid posts and if that is keeping those out of more important forums, that is purpose enough for me.

If that was misconstrued from when I said "OT needs stricter ENFORCEMENT of the rules," I apologize. The rules aren't that strict at all. No talk of sex, religion, or politics and no flaming, spamming, advertising or offensive posts. Not hard at all, and the enforcement doesn't need to come just from the Mods.
I think it is just a mild hiccup. I am confident things will get ironed out soon.

SUGGESTION: Remove post count. It makes some members arrogant.

thanks for some level-headedness and the vote of confidence :D it is refreshing and greatly appreciated! moderators are human so of course we do make the occassional mistake, i will not claim to be perfect. however if we make a mistake we darn well do our best to fix it. if a member disappears would it not make more sense to question what they did to deserve it rather than a moderator's motives?

Yeah how am I suppose to prove my point when you do it for me? I can only reply with everyone might not find the same things interesting.

Yes but then you can just delete the thread for being in the wrong subject area.

Yeah I hear ya, its all those pesky members fault. They're always making annoying posts, you should just delete everyones account so we have perfect order. Your right about the rules not being strict, I think that would require them to be well defined, they're just strictly enforced

Perhaps, as I said I can't tell what was posted, but I have seen posts that were later deleted and little was wrong with them. So ok maybe one or two of them offended or could have offended some whiny little *****, SO WHAT.... It happens, people need to learn to deal with it.

Mods in general are the only ones who have any power on this forum, the only thing the rest of us can do is leave. As a mod you can choose to enforce every little thing to the letter of the rules, or just hit the bad offenders.

indeed it is "those pesky members' fault". we don't want to clean stuff up, when we do it may look bad to you but we didn't make the mess our selves. i am no stranger to sarcasm, though you may wish to contemplate things further before applying it. give us a break. better still tell us just what we have to do to please you Sui. apparently there is no way as either approach "looks" bad to you. please don't take this response as an insult to you, just think about what i've said.

i am not sure what exactly has created the recent activism against tech forums's structure but it bothers me. tech forums is a forum of which you choose to be a member. it's purpose is to host discussion. it is not here to be exactly what you want it to be. sure there may be some flaws, we'll do our best to fix what we can. we'll do our best to make it better. just don't be under the illusion that TF should/n't be or should/n't do something in a particular way just because you would like that better. simply if you wish to participate there are rules because the forum is not any member's plaything.

i am not sure what exactly has created the recent activism against tech forums's structure but it bothers me. tech forums is a forum of which you choose to be a member. it's purpose is to host discussion. it is not here to be exactly what you want it to be. sure there may be some flaws, we'll do our best to fix what we can. we'll do our best to make it better. just don't be under the illusion that tech forums should/n't be or should/n't do something in a particular way just because you would like that better. simply if you wish to participate there are rules because the forum is not any member's plaything.

what discussion. it seems like any opinion will be deleted because theyre not facts. in my opinion this forum has turned into a forum perfect for 10 year olds. i guess times have changed a year ago this forum was fun to hang out and have discussions about anything and everything now its just get your tech support and get out.

a few things:

Mt. Everest is not privately owned, nor is there an active community there

climbing Mt. Everest doesn't do much to Mt. Everest itself. It's not going to cause it to become unstable or anything.

Seriously, you're not helping your cause.

Here let me help you.

"If you keep telling people that they can't do something, they are going to go out of their way to prove you wrong, then probably rub it in your face."

It's that simple.

"GAME OVER"

That was my way of saying, "Look, it's over, there is no more game to play." The rebellion lost and the defenders of TF united won.

You know what. I'm out.

Seriously, you're not helping your cause.

Here let me help you.

"If you keep telling people that they can't do something, they are going to go out of their way to prove you wrong, then probably rub it in your face."
I know that.

But it is required for us not to let people do certain things. Otherwise, Tech-Forums would be in anarchy. That's what I'm getting at.

Mt everest won't descend into anarchy by people climbing it.

I know that.

But it is required for us not to let people do certain things. Otherwise, Tech-Forums would be in anarchy. That's what I'm getting at.

Mt everest won't descend into anarchy by people climbing it.

hm i dont think tech forums was ever in anarchy before this amount of strictness.

quoted harper from a different thread didnt want to respond to it in there cause itll probably all be deleted for being off topic or something

Yup. It's all here where I spent a good solid night debating it with trotter. Especially considing that I got slapped 20 for deliberately swearing around the filters.

After many hours and debating the difference between Inappropriate Language and Inappropriate Content and me getting hit for 20 yellow cards last week for use of the F-Word, it has come to my understanding that.....

Censored Swear Words that are picked up by the swear-bot are a considered Inappropriate Language -- 5 points.
Where as coding in slash or spaces into the middle of the swear word to is considered Inappropriate Content. -- 20 points.

Yes, it's SHIFT8-SHIFT8-SHIFT8-SHIFT8-ed, but they are mods and it's there choise to slap you 5 points for some thing that the Swear Bot picked up, and 20 points for working around the Swear Bot.

that is just way too excessive. like seriously what the... nvm. id rather have total anarchy than be ruled by dictators that didnt take into consideration what the community wanted

Are you trying to get me angry apok? seriously? Stop being such a twit.

Anarchy? Right. Using colorful adjectives and having weighted opinions is going to over throw the balance of tech forums. Ararchy will reign and all the mods will be destroyed.

You do realize that this is a Internet Forum don't you? It's not a governmental establishment developed to save the world. It's a money generating investment for it's owner and it's admin. You're "a" volunter "protector" of someone elses investment. Congratulations!

Go ahead, pick my post apart, dismember my analogies and give me a red card for tampering with your master's investment.

hm i dont think tech forums was ever in anarchy before this amount of strictness.
Tech-forums isn't more strict than it was before. The only thing that's changed is a more efficient way of enforcing the rules that were already in place to begin with.

That, and people who use the ToV forum get used to the ToV rules. Those same people then come over here and complain that they can't get away with doing the same things here.

The simple fact is, tech-forums is a technology forum. Not a post anything you feel like forum.
It is based around discussing computer technology and related material, and the rules have been set based on that.

Are you trying to get me angry apok? seriously? Stop being such a twit.

Anarchy? Right. Using colorful adjectives and having weighted opinions is going to over throw the balance of tech forums. Ararchy will reign and all the mods will be destroyed.
Do you have a point here?

I was actually agreeing with you that people will push against the rules. This is the case no matter what the rules are.
I was just pointing out that that's where the problem lies.

You do realize that this is a Internet Forum don't you?
Yes I do.

It's not a governmental establishment developed to save the world.
I know. It's a privately owned forum, run at the expense of an individual.

It's a money generating investment for it's owner and it's admin.
If tech-forums was made to generate money, it would be a very poor way of doing it.
I am certain Larry has spent far more money on tech-forums than he's actually gotten back from it.

You're "a" volunter "protector" of someone elses investment. Congratulations!
volunteer protector, I would agree with.

Go ahead, pick my post apart, dismember my analogies and give me a red card for tampering with your master's investment.
We give red cards to people who break the rules. Not because we disagree with what they're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom