OMG, Organic OLED!!!

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Wow, I just got a new copy of Fortune magazine and what's in their Technology section?!?! OLED!!! Ok guys, you have no idea what thin is until you've seen this. It's .12" thin!!! The whole damn monitor and casing itself!!! It hits consumer shelves Dec 1st, so it's already out but it's only in Japan right now. Cost: $1,740 USD. That's the downside. It's a Sony brand too so that goes into the cost :rolleyes:

I wish I can link you to the article somehow but I can't find it on the web. It's beautiful. Toshiba is working on a 20" model, Samsung is readying their 14" model for 2009.

Run down:

--No thicker than 3-stacked credit cards.
--Built around layers of custome made OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diodes).
--That equals=no backlighting, thus drawing way less power.

It's here and looks like LCD may be headed to the graves in the long run. Quality wise, I don't know how it compares to the newer LCDTV, especially their HD models, but it's matched to TV quality.

Sweet, I think I read something abou it before. Dont buy an HDTV now than!! It probably has higher res than LCD too.

It has been in the news already awhile back so this technology is technically, nothing new. But it has never been made mainstream until now. Too pricey. But OLED is determined to take off. Man, I have a picture right here in my magazine for the new Sony OLED. Wow, that thing is ultra thing. Talk about razor thin. Sheeshh, you have to see it to believe it. Good stuff. So light, yet so powerful.

i saw this some time ago, can't wait to see it implemented in tv's :)

If you're looking at almost to G's for what, 14'' to 20'' big, forget about a TV sized OLED.

Well nothing anyone of us could afford at any rate.

Oh snap, check out this site. Here are some samples of OLED capabitlites!!!!

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Flat-Panel-Reviews/OLED-the-Next-Thing-in-Monitors/1/

Amazing. Look at the bottom pict. Imagine that? A flex-screen. Wow. Military are already using a bunch of them :p

Haha, I found the article that was in my Fortune magazine!!! Here is the new Sony OLED screen!!!

Sony XEL-1 Sony's 3mm Thick XEL-1 OLED TV Finally Revealed, Japanese Launch this December : (it's not exactly Forutne, but they talked about this exact same OLED monitor)
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony-xel...aled-japanese-launch-this-december-305470.php

medium_1467548708_8350bd274f_o.png

medium_1466694163_0847aea696_o.png

medium_1467547792_b1b2c9214c_o.png

medium_1466628615_ff36edb8a3_o.jpg

Wooo, eat your heart out!!!

Good, its HDMI. Should be a beautiful screen.

The military doesnt need anything like this. What a waste of money.

I heard about this when they finally invented the blue OLED a few years ago, which opened SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. There is not really any downside for OLED monitors - the reason why they're pricey is because they're new, they actually cost much less to make than LCD monitors or CRT monitors.

- Better quality
- Less power consumption
- Bendy/Flexible Monitors
- Very large sizes for small prices (though they're being sold quite expensive at first)

-rhys

Back
Top Bottom