Older OS upgrade question

Dagwood56

Beta member
Hi all

My husband wants to upgrade his operating system from Windows 98se to Windows ME - we can't afford a new computer right now and his barely meets the system requirements for XP, so it and Vista are out of the question.

We picked up a copy of ME upgrade on ebay. My question is this, Windows ME has an older version of internet explorer than he is using now - we are on AOL. When I install the upgrade, will it screw up IE 6 or will it prompt me and say it has detected a newer version and ask me to choose which one I want? While I'm at it, is the upgrade likely to do anything to AOL? for instance, will I maybe have to reinstall that too?

Thanks for the help

Carol

You shouldn't have to reinstall internet explorer or aol as long as it is an "upgrade" and not a full version install. Aol discs usually come with internet exporer as well, just in case something does happen, but you should be fine.

To be honest I'd leave Windows 98 on it. Windows ME is awful. If you were going to put a new OS on without upgrading Windows 2000 would have been a much better choice.

Also I wouldn't recommend upgrading you should do a clean install. Just back up all your files then format and install. It may ask you for a disk during the install to prove its a upgrade at that point just put in your Windows 98 disc.

XP's requirments are not that high what hardware are you working with? It may be as simple as some cheap ram or a new cpu.

Preety much the minimum. I personally won't tell them to buy a New PC if they can't afford one. Personally, I'd stick to 98. You should have picked up a Windows 2000 copy.

id personally upgrade to 2000, tweak it abit, and it should run smooth.
otherwise id keep 98. most people will tell you ME sucks ... well it doesnt totally suck, its just better to stick with 98.
if you do upgrade you should have all the same programs installed, after all its only an upgrade. im guessing its the same for ie, if not just re install the newer one

98se is better than 2000, which was mainly built for servers and business's

also whats the specs of the pc? you can run XP on some pretty low end machines.

please state your system specs
and you would be surprised how cheep it is to get a decent computer
(speaking in terms of how much computers cost)

Upgrading from W98 to ME would not be a good idea. ME is nothing more than widow dressing for 98 and adds nothing but bloat and performance issues. He's much better off staying with 98 until you can afford a new computer.

Back
Top Bottom