older games question

ikonix360

Daemon Poster
Is there a way to make the older 16 bit and earlier games run in windows 10 64 bit natively without having to load any other program first

That depends 100% entirely on the game. AFAIK 16bit apps won't work in W10 x64. I'm a retro guy, so if you're trying a specific game I might know if it'll work or not, or how to get it to work.

Edit: Actually just checked, 16bit apps are not supported as x64 W10 lacks the subsystem. x86 W10 on the other hand you can add the 16bit subsystem back in.
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/

I have a collection of old games from the early 90s id like to run whenever I so desire without having to use any other program like dosbox.

Not sure why 16 bit subsystem is not in 64 bit versions of windows 10 except the normal obsolescence Microsoft is known for.

In fact the subsystem could be added but only used when a game requiring it is started and terminated when the game is terminated.

I have a collection of old games from the early 90s id like to run whenever I so desire without having to use any other program like dosbox.

Not sure why 16 bit subsystem is not in 64 bit versions of windows 10 except the normal obsolescence Microsoft is known for.

In fact the subsystem could be added but only used when a game requiring it is started and terminated when the game is terminated.
AFAIK it's a more native focus on 64bit rather than slapped together support from previous OS's. 32bit mode is emulated via WOW64 and the processes are isolated from the 64bit environment. 16bit would be an emulation on top of an emulation.

Some games can simply be run, the majority require work to get running. If you're not willing to put some work into getting the games going then I suggest sticking to an XP machine for these specific games. Some games have modern modifications to enable more modern features including run natively in a modern OS. One such example being Descent which a team has made a thing called DX Rebirth that enables native playing with modern resolutions. Games like Mechwarrior 2/3 require fiddling with programs like Dgvoodoo or Dxwnd. If you're looking for an install and go kind of situation then W10 is not the answer for these titles. Best I can say is try it and if it doesn't work then time to build a retro box like a lot of us have done.

I agree there isn't a simple plug and play solution, but that's Microsoft's fault for not including it when it's easy to include the necessary files to enable it to run.

Since 32 bit is emulated by WOW64 why can't there be a version that does the same thing only for 16 bit games?

I know you're asking about not using something like DosBox and just running natively...but I recently found this:
https://github.com/schellingb/dosbox-pure

It's a fork of DosBox and supposed to be a bit easier to use.

I could use that.

Also there's a menu system for dosbox that I do have where you just click the game in the menu.

BUT

My point is I shouldn't have to use a third party program to play a game that is Windows compatible simply because Microsoft wants people to always use new software.

However I may have to use a third party program reluctantly.

I seem to remember having to use dosbox on my XP computer for a couple games that ran too fast.

It would be nice if there was a program one could run that adds the necessary subsystems to use 16 bit and older programs.

Back
Top Bottom