Old Optiplex to New

buxtahuda

Baseband Member
Hi everyone, we've just replaced two computers at my workplace, the old Optiplex sx270's with new Optiplex 360's. The old one has some weird harddrive that connects using a 5W187 flex wire. The new one uses 3.0 Gb/s Sata. How would I go about either connecting the old harddrive up to the new computer as a master; or transferring absolutely all files, programs, network settings, IP addresses, etc to the new harddrive so that we don't have to muck about with the network and reinstalling everything?

or transferring absolutely all files, programs, network settings, IP addresses, etc to the new harddrive so that we don't have to muck about with the network and reinstalling everything?

You could buy an external harddrive, and save it onto there, then take out the old hard-drive, and put the new one in, and once again transfer it.
Another one that I don't see being recommended much is Mozy Backup all your files there and transfer it onto the new hard-drive.
You could also setup your hardware in RAID format, but another smarter member will tell you how to do that.:eek:

Hi everyone, we've just replaced two computers at my workplace, the old Optiplex sx270's with new Optiplex 360's. The old one has some weird harddrive that connects using a 5W187 flex wire. The new one uses 3.0 Gb/s Sata. How would I go about either connecting the old harddrive up to the new computer as a master; or transferring absolutely all files, programs, network settings, IP addresses, etc to the new harddrive so that we don't have to muck about with the network and reinstalling everything?

I've never heard of this flex wire you are talking about, but from a quick google it seems rather rare since the exact flex wire came up with only a handful of pretty useless results. At any rate, even if you manage to find a solution to get the old stuff from the old hard drive to the new hard drive, you still have to reinstall the operating system and any programs (if that's what you mean by reinstalling; in simple terms, you can't just copy and operating system and it's programs from one drive to the next) because the motherboards will be different and the operating system won't work by being "copied" anyways...it has to be made into a disk image and then transferred...in which case, it still won't work due to the difference in motherboards.

It sounds to me like your best bet would be to keep one of those old machines, install linux (or Windows if you have a copy you can use..or just install it and not activate it..you have 30 days) onto a hard drive from one of the old computers, plug in the hard drive(s) you want to transfer data FROM, network the new computer you are transferring TO, then send that data through the network. Anyway you do it is going to be a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom