Old Laptop vs. New Laptop (data transfer methods)

SonicMonkey

Beta member
I have an old laptop running Windows 98 with no internet connection possible (it has a dial-up modem, but I only have DSL at my house) and an almost no-good USB port (not compatible with any of my keyboards, mice, jumpdrives. I might need drivers?). I want to be able to transfer files and information between this old laptop and my newer one.

I was just wondering if:
a) I can somehow transfer data between these two computers via phone cable.
b) I can get common drivers for some regular USB devices.
c) This is possible at all as I'm running Linux Mint 7 and I don't know if the two OS's are compatible.

Any input would be great, thanks.

Why don't you just take out the HDD from the old laptop, put it in an external USB enclosure and connect that to your new laptop. From there, your old HDD should show up as a USB Mass Storage Device (or something similar). Then you just copy and paste...

This old laptop of mine does have an easy HDD removal system (all I need to do is unscrew a little drawer with a nickel and it pops right out) but I don't have an external USB enclosure. Are you sure I can't just get the two computers to communicate through internet cables or something?

Does the laptop old laptop have an Ethernet port? Or just an phone jack/modem?

If it has an LAN port and you have a router at your home, you can setup a network (I think) and transfer the files. The reason I say *I think* is because I have no experience with Linux + Windows networking together.

You *should* be able to install flash drive drivers (any generic ones should work) and it'll work on the 98 computer. I remember having to do that.

It has an Ethernet port, but I can't get it to work on my network, or else I'd go on the internet with it. It's a 'Xircom RealPort CardBus Ethernet 10/100' if that helps. I've tried installing drivers, but it just doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom