Old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

krato

Beta member
Hi, itÂ’s my first post so please be gentle with me lol

My mother has an old computer, which I made for her a couple of years back, and she wants it upgrading, she won't buy a new one because she doesn't like the idea of spending lots of money on something she wont use very often. When she does use it its usually just for reading email, browsing the net, writing letters in Microsoft Word, and generally thatÂ’s it, no high performance programs.

The current specs of her system are:

Intel Pentium 4, 1.8GHZ
256 SDRAM
40GB Hard Drive
And an old Nvidia GeForce graphics card (which doesn't really matter)

With her telling me that she doesn't want to spend a lot of money on it, would it be worth buying an extra 512 RAM for it for £20, or upgrading the system for £100 to something like:

AMD Sempron 3000+
512 DDR RAM
Motherboard with onboard sound/VGA

I know the second option would run a bit faster, but I’m just wondering if the first option would make the computer run much faster with it just being a £20 upgrade? Like I say, it doesn't have to be super fast, just ok for opening a program here and there...

Thanks for your help

Krato

If that's all she does with it, then bump up the RAM and go.

Cleaning out the junk (adware/spyware, ununsed programs), major defragging (O&O), and cleaning the registry (TweakNow, RegCompact.NET) ought to have it running like a top.

Thanks for your reply :)

I'll order some ram and hopefully i wont be naggd at any longer about her slow computer lol I'll clean it out at weekend when i go round and see if that makes much of a difference.

Thanks

Krato

..make sure you order SDRAM and not DDR ram.. (assuming what you stated was true, your system takes sdram..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom