Old comp keeps restarting, PLEASE help me

GibsonSGKing

Daemon Poster
OK, I have this old computer that I just found. I know pretty much nothing about it, other then that the previous owner has a fresh install of XP on it. It has a P4 at 1.8 GHZ, and an ASUS P4s533-MX mobo in it. It has 1gb of ram as well. There can't be any virus's on it, cuz it's never been connected to the net. OK, so heres the problem. Safemode works fine, but when I try to boot normally, it gets to the desktop fine, and then after a couple of seconds on the desktop it just beeps from the CPU speaker, and restarts. No clue why. If anyone could help me out here, that would be awesome. Thanks.

there still could be viruses...uhh whats the power supply on it?

there still could be viruses...uhh whats the power supply on it?

So you're saying that there are virus's on my store bought windows XP disc? OK.... :rolleyes:

And the PSU is the stock Dell one, but it should be plenty of power, I only have one HDD, and a not-so-powerful Nvidia gpu.

Maybe something isn't right with the drivers. You could always see if a fresh install helps at all.

Well, I managed to get it to stay on, now I'm just installing SP3, I managed to get the sound driver installed as well. I'm just sorta waiting for something stupid to happen though... :p

Well, I managed to get it to stay on, now I'm just installing SP3, I managed to get the sound driver installed as well. I'm just sorta waiting for something stupid to happen though... :p

lol well thats good that it is moderately working. keep us posted if any other issues occur.

Well, I put SP3 on along with one or two drivers, but it seems that SP3 did the trick. I know, weird, but now it works great. I was even playing GTA on it for a bit. Well, anyhow, it works now =D

well you stated there was a previous owner who installed xp. You never know.

Back
Top Bottom