okay so I want to upgrade, just dont know what....

=-Samurai-=

Solid State Member
Okay so I want to update/upgrade my PC, I just dont know what to get...I like to randomly buy new parts and install them for fun and I dont know what to get...So if all you have any suggestions that would be great! Heres my up to date specs...

*****My Gaming PC's specs*****

-Raidmax Smilodon case

-Windows Vista 64 bit

-22" Acer X223W LCD monitor

-5.1 Logitech x540 Surround Sound w/Realtek HD audio

-Saitek blue backlit keyboard/Logitech laser mouse

-Western Digital 500GB/250GB 7200RPM internal hard drives

-500W PSU (Power Supply Unit)

-XFX 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT video card

-4GB Kingston RAM

-Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 2.66 GHZ processor

-abit IP35 mother board

-LG DVD Drive/Burner

-three 80mm blue LED fan, two 120mm fans, two 12" red cold cathodes.

Okay so I want to update/upgrade my PC, I just dont know what to get...I like to randomly buy new parts and install them for fun and I dont know what to get...So if all you have any suggestions that would be great! Heres my up to date specs...

*****My Gaming PC's specs*****

-Raidmax Smilodon case

-Windows Vista 64 bit

-22" Acer X223W LCD monitor

-5.1 Logitech x540 Surround Sound w/Realtek HD audio

-Saitek blue backlit keyboard/Logitech laser mouse

-Western Digital 500GB/250GB 7200RPM internal hard drives

-XFX 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT video card

-4GB Kingston RAM

-Intel Core 2 Duo e6750 2.66 GHZ processor

-abit IP35 mother board

-LG DVD Drive/Burner

-three 80mm blue LED fan, two 120mm fans, two 12" red cold cathodes.

if I were in your shoes, I would start with the motherboard, Abit is out of the motherboard business and support for that board could start getting a little bit iffy, even though they said they would offer support for a while for owners of their motherboards you have to figure what the quality of that support will be since there no repercussions, what are people gonna do if their "support" is lacking or non existent, not buy their motherboards...?

personally, I like to go the open box route on Newegg, most of the time you will save $50 or so and sometimes you'll end up paying roughly half the price for a motherboard, you get great deals if you know what to buy (I/O shield) and download (chipset drivers and random motherboard based programs) to get ready for it's arrival, I've even heard of people getting all the accessories as well though it isn't guaranteed, there are others though that avoid open box items like the plague...

also, if you want to sli in the future, ditch the Intel chipsets unless you want to buy the more recent, flexible and expensive x58 chipset, it allows both sli and crossfire, with you running a P35 chipset there are literally hundreds of motherboards (thousands maybe?) that would be considered an upgrade for you...

some, like this open box ASRock P45TURBOTWINS2000 for $56 + shipping allow you to start your upgrade path a little bit at a time by allowing DDR2 and DDR3 to run on the same board (not at the same time though), this would allow you to run DDR3 on your motherboard and when you decide to fully upgrade you don't have to worry about buying DDR3 memory (or at least not as much, maybe just add an extra stick of what you already have to complete a triple channel set) to go with that exclusive DDR3 board...

that's a pretty cheap option and there are so many motherboards to choose from and so many go on sale at times that you really need to make the decision at the time you are ready to buy it, research beforehand though so you know basically what you want and what your budget is...

Your current build seems to be sufficient to run Vista 64-bit. But a couple minor suggestions if you are always looking for new hardware to place in your build.

The main thing that computer technology is always falling behind in is the CPU. CPU's normally upgrade every 2-4 months. To recommend one for a decent price: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor.

Your RAM looks to be perfect. You shouldn't need more than 4 gig's of ram for a personal computer (at least as of now).

Next would be graphics. Your current graphics card seems to be pretty sufficient for being a GeForce 9800GT 512mb. Only thing I would recommend, if you have SLI capability on your mobo, to add an additional 512mb card (making a total of 1gb graphics).

Last, If you are the type of person who likes to work with media files (ie. video, music, or graphics) Upgrade your hard drive, you can never go wrong with more space or even a backup hard drive to store files you may not want to lose in a reformat.

If this is a cheapy unit, I would start here. The PSU is one of the most important parts of the system and is responsible for supplying power to all the components, so you don't want something sub-par.

Wow this is a lot of good info guys, thanks a ton....Wow i dont even kno where to start still...lol I wanted to upgrade to a quad core. But I think my motherboard is still pretty good I'm happy with it, so thats a keeper for a little while. as for the PSU it is the one that was included with my case but it is a 40 doller one so idk if thats cheap or not but it seems to suit my system well for now. The graphics card I cant run sli cuz my board doesnt have it, but I dont think I would want to anyway because my buddies overheated after maybe a weeks worth of use playing Crysis and fried one of his cards, lol....So yeah thanks guys!

Damn it worshipme! That was going to be my advice.

Anyways, great advice here. I would start with the power supply unit. Even though it may seem fine you never know when it's going to quit on you. I'd suggest upgrading to a 600-700W if you are considering SLI or XFire. I would definitely suggest that you get a modular PSU and get some good cable management in your case. I can already tell you that it will be loads better than what you currently have. Once you've upgraded your PSU, I'd say the next step is the motherboard.

What do you use your computer for? Gaming, web, IM'ing etc? If this is all you do I'd say you can go with another LGA775 motherboard. If you do some other things you may want to hold out getting a new motherboard until you can afford a processor with it. I'd then make the switch from that Intel Exxx to a AMD PII xxx.

Back
Top Bottom