Ok, so this might get me into trouble...

There's a lot of flux right now in what platforms are available for forums. There are a couple of fairly new platforms coming down the pike that deserve a good look. IPB and in particular XenForo. Most developers have a favorite...

This board is on the latest STABLE version of vBulletin and we keep it up to date and patched. Do a little googling in the developer community for Vbulletin 5 and you will understand why we have not gone there. The newest isn't always a good choice. Remember Windows ME ?

;)

I've asked this from time to time and is there any plans for an upgrade to even VB 4?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Computer Forums mobile app

Ah well, it is a working system, but apparently the admin/owners are not willing to take the risk.
We will have to make this work.

Ah well, it is a working system, but apparently the admin/owners are not willing to take the risk.
We will have to make this work.

But it's always a balancing act. Would you come here regularly if the site was always down because of some VB bug? Probably not. Short term gains from being able to cheer that we were on the latest version would be trumped by long-term member losses.

It's a pretty common practice that I see every day as a software engineer - you always wait for something stable before making any big over-hauls.

And while I'm not an admin I'm curious by what you mean by "we will have to make this work.". As a user and a moderator the software here seems to be working just fine for me.

I run a VB 4.2.2 forum and right now I'm battling SQL database errors. Been running fine for over a year. Also I'm looking at VB 4 exploit issues just announced. Seems the same for VB 5.

VB 3 is the base forum software a lot go back to after having a taste of the other versions. It's stable, easy to code, and a lot more member friendly.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And while I'm not an admin I'm curious by what you mean by "we will have to make this work.". As a user and a moderator the software here seems to be working just fine for me.
I have noticed a few bugs, like the PM box not being able to keep track of PM's as if they where a thread. That can get old, but it can be gotten used too.

You are right, and I am sorry if that came out as insulting. But I will say that taking risks is the best way to learn. You take a chance, then when somthing breaks, learn quickly how to fix them or ask for help. There is nothing wrong with asking your users for help.

Back
Top Bottom