ok... im getting tired of this

Your CPU selection is fine. There really isn't anything better/faster other than going to a socket AM3 processor.

The Kuma chip is easily overclocked to 3.0GHz by simply raising the multiplier. It will see no real increase in heat production allowing you to stay with the OEM cooler.

Overclocking is almost always possible on a stock cooler; but they do get hot. And the hotter the system runs, the less likely it is to last longer. It's based on preference. I get all OCD when my Q95 runs at over 30C. AMD's are higher wattage and tend to run hotter than Intel but you should be /ok/ oc'ing to 3.0 on stock. I would highly recommend against it though. AM coolers can be picked up pretty cheap and will ensure a longer lasting system.

Your CPU selection is fine. There really isn't anything better/faster other than going to a socket AM3 processor.

The Kuma chip is easily overclocked to 3.0GHz by simply raising the multiplier. It will see no real increase in heat production allowing you to stay with the OEM cooler.

ok, thx

should 4gb of memory be good? is ddr2 1066 needed here? or can i go 800 and save like 10 dollars or so

Overclocking is almost always possible on a stock cooler; but they do get hot. And the hotter the system runs, the less likely it is to last longer. It's based on preference. I get all OCD when my Q95 runs at over 30C. AMD's are higher wattage and tend to run hotter than Intel but you should be /ok/ oc'ing to 3.0 on stock. I would highly recommend against it though. AM coolers can be picked up pretty cheap and will ensure a longer lasting system.

ok, but i mean... this cpu is only like 60 bucks, and if it does crap out, it should be very cheap to replace

Yes, 4GB is the sweet spot for Vista and even the new Windows 7 will run nicely.

You needn't worry about overheating your CPU with a simple multiplier increase. It's only when you really start pushing the voltage, FSB, and everything else then you would need to look into an aftermarket cooler.

ok... nice

i think the thing i have to keep telling myself is... i know what im doing pretty much, and whatever main components i pick (ram, processor, mobo, video card) are going to be good... and i mean, whatever parts i get are going to be a huge upgrade over what i have right now... im just trying to find the price/performance sweet spot...

games im looking to play are like.... l4d, cs:s, guild wars, battlefield 2+2142, company of heroes, and empire:total war.... would this setup on windows 7 64bit work well?? like what qualities

Yes, 4GB is the sweet spot for Vista and even the new Windows 7 will run nicely.

You needn't worry about overheating your CPU with a simple multiplier increase. It's only when you really start pushing the voltage, FSB, and everything else then you would need to look into an aftermarket cooler.

so... if the multiplier is at 13.5x or whatever default... all i have to do is edit it to a safe level like 15x and im done?? please elaborate if you can atomic :)

I think your right on that price/perfromance spot right now. Funny thing is, you could always fudge high or low on the prices and still come up with a nice setup. Either way, you're right in that the new rig will be much faster than what you have now.

You should be able to run those games at high settings on the new rig.

:D

ok, so atomic... do you have any other suggestions on parts in general.... cuz i still havent really talked with my dad lol... but i think he will give me a significant amount of money, since i will be leaving it at his house.... so maybe a cheap 4850 or 9800gtx+ ???

Back
Top Bottom