Oh God, please tell me ...

ns0mnia

Solid State Member
Is there any way to recover data from a hdd that I just reformatted? I reinstalled Windows XP, and it said it was going to install on the C drive, which was ok, but when it was done, I double-clicked my D drive (the one I didn't want formatted) and it said "Drive D is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?" I had 13 gigs of music on there, is there any way I can get it back? I will seriously do anything to get my music back.

Watch the language here.

Nope, you're screwed.
Besides it's just music dude, it can be recovered elsewhere.
I just lost everything on my laptop including about 10GB of music, I recovered essential data like word documents and such, but the 120 albums I had stored on my computer can just be re-ripped since I have the CDs.

...It's not the end of the world.

I know it's not the end of the world, but I hate losing all of it. Considering I download more than half of it, I can't just "re-rip it".

ns0mnia said:
Considering I download more than half of it, I can't just "re-rip it".
*passes you a flame resistant suit*

...I'll go get the burner ready for the flamage.

I'm afraid you're gonna have to deal with your lost music. There is no way of retriving data after reformatting. It's usually wiped clean off the disk before they do all that normal reinstalling.

Next time you should buy yourself a little backup hard drive (the external ones) and just backup all your files like music, videos, documents, programs etc.

Actually, unless you did a full format, it might still be on there. See, deleting doesn't actually delete the files. It tells the computer that the space where the file was is free to write over. Basically, when you delete something, the actual data stays there until it gets written over. So, depending on how much you have used your computer since the format, there might be some music left on there. The only thing is that data recovery is expensive.

Yeah, getting hold of a company can get expensive, but they can recover almost anything if you pay them enough.

Nothing ever deletes from a hard drive, its just wiped over, since formatting only removes the file table telling the hard drive where exactly everything is, so it just takes it as blank space and writes over it.

Alot if not 90% of your music could still be there, depending on where it was stored within the hard drive.

So, if you do have enough money, by all means send it off :p

Back
Top Bottom