Oh David

Id second that.

i dont know what id do without my CF time..

X2, I literally spend several hours a day, or more trying to help people with there computer problems. It's just fun. Next to opening a computer shop, this is the closest thing to actually fixing computers I can do.

And I'd be more than happy to chip if it means the forums staying open.

None of the skins, add-ons, mods, or hacks work on VB 4.0 from the 3.x series. If you go 4.0 you have to find or make skins from scratch.
good job now custom skins were made, Phew... dodged a bullet there!! /jk

And I'd be more than happy to chip if it means the forums staying open.

closing? I don't think that the site is closing, just running on old, (and ever more compensable software).

Personally I'd rather spite vb for their licensing situation and would feel guilty for accepting donations
If you don't like the VB licensing then why not change the software to one of the free forums out there?

If you don't like the VB licensing then why not change the software to one of the free forums out there?

phpBB would be worth a punt if a change was to be made as I find it the best of the freely-available forum software packages, although I can't see why there would be an issue staying with the current version unless there is something seriously wrong with it - it is paid for, after all, right?

Well, I do find it stupid to buy VB4, when you have a lifetime liscence. What's the point then?

Well, if you're not ready to jump, I'd say up to 3.8 or higher...just to keep the support form the guys over there.

I don't like the new look of vB. It seems too different. It's going to be a Facebook type move in upgrading.

Well the only main hack we use is to auto merge any double posts. It also looks like my old customer logins at vbulletin have been removed so there is no option to updated to a later 3.x.x version

Personally if I visit a forum that runs a free forum software it just looks hugely unprofessional, vb is the standard people expect.

I guess it comes down to the community, some people want it and some don't

Personally if I visit a forum that runs a free forum software it just looks hugely unprofessional, vb is the standard people expect.

I actually don't think phpBB looks any less professional than vBulletin, to be honest. I have to say the same about SMF, too. Professionalism is mostly determined by content and not the software itself. Alright, to an extent, you could argue that the default themes are not aimed at a professional user, but those are things that can quite easily be changed.

A commercial alternative is, I suppose, IPB but their service last time I used it was inferior to that offered by vBulletin, but of course I have used neither for a long time so I can't really comment any more.

Of course, this does come back to the question of whether or not change is necessary. What advantages would you, as well as the members, get from any upgrade?

Look at Pronetworks.org for example. They run PHPBB since ages, and I've got nothing to complain.

PhpBB isa free forum engine and allows a vast variety of hacks and tools, and the support is made of community.

What's unprofessional is an extremely eye candy forum.
I've been used to Invision, personally.

Back
Top Bottom