Oh crap... Is the CPU burnt??

JikuzeN

Daemon Poster
2003587292515372677_rs.jpg

2000205949405598786_rs.jpg

The white edges are the remaning thermal paste.. which dosent even look dry... So is it burnt?, the thermal pad is ripped off the heat sink now :cry:, and there's no more thermal paste on the cpu (you can see the silver writing...). Is it really is burnt, do you think this is causing the problem of the system shutting down?

that's definately causing the system to shut down. if it was running tho, it should be fine because there's a fail safe system that shuts it down if it gets too hot. Just get some arctic silver 5 or just thermal paste and put a very thin layer over the cpu heatspreader and secure the heatsink firmly down on it.

BigLu said:
that's definately causing the system to shut down. if it was running tho, it should be fine because there's a fail safe system that shuts it down if it gets too hot. Just get some arctic silver 5 or just thermal paste and put a very thin layer over the cpu heatspreader and secure the heatsink firmly down on it.

OMG, If that's the answer, THANKYOU!. Just to make sure it's burnt, i'll wait for more replies, but thanks for that!, I guess it's true, when i left the case sideways, without the panel, it dosen't shut down.. i guess it really is the CPU.

How did it cause the cpu to burn in the first place, and isn't the thermal paste suppose to dry?, How do i apply thermal paste? Thanks. Am using Thermaltakes thermal paste..

Man, I have no clue what key I just pressed but all that I typed out here was wiped out and for some ridiculous reason, CF was replaced with my Hotmail site. Strange. Don't you guys just hate it when that happens? It's like accidently bumping the forward or back button on your mouse and boom, everything you typed out dissapears on you.

Anyways, back to the topic. It looks really nast under there. Regardless if it's actually fried or not, try again. Clean off the bottom of that heatsink and the top of the processor with rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner (lol, reminds me of that movie, "My big fat Greek Wedding" or something like that) and use some cloth or lint free material if you have any. Clean it off good so no traces are left behind. Then reapply the thermal grease again. If your PC doesn't come on after that, you can suspect the CPU is gone.

Rubbing alcohol and kleenex are the trick. Then, put some paste...not pad.

It's not fried.

Arctic Silver 5 seems to be the crowd favorite. If you get that, make sure to follow the instructions and put a BB sized dot in the middle. It doesn't dry, so you don't want it running out when you clamp the sink down.

Put some alcohol on it to get rid of the old stuff then put fresh thermal paste on it.

I really don't like thermal pads for this reason. I had to re-seat my heatsink in the process of troubleshooting strange temperature readings. Turns out I needed to reflash the bios but thats another issue.

When I took the heatsink off the once smooth thermal pad had dried into something that had chewed its way straight out of hell. I removed ALL of it with a microfiber cloth and alcohol and replaced with some silver based thermal paste. I will never use a pad again.

Back
Top Bottom