Official Windows 10 Thread

Soulphire mentioned that, I believe.

I'm not sure what it is I guess, so maybe that's why I'm not as excited for the news :lol:.

Last edited:
It allows me to view & manage our Active Directory domain, e.g. users/computers and what OUs they're in, security and web access groups, etc. Without it I'd have to login to one of our Domain Controllers every time I wanted to make a change or view details about a user or PC.

It also allows me to use Powershell for AD commands - e.g. to quickly get a list of all the groups that a user is a member of:

Code:
Get-ADPrincipalGroupMembership -Identity "username" | select name

Or to quickly add a bunch of users to a group:

Code:
Import-Csv c:\names.csv | %{Add-ADGroupMember -Identity "ScanSafe - Facebook Users" -Member $_.name}

Been missing it a lot :p

I upgraded the primary PC i use at work to win 10 the day of so i could get a first hand experience on any potential problems... so far I have no major concerns other than some end-user limitation concerns although i was naked without my rsat. Without it i would rdp into our pdc then i'm good but now i don't need to rdp into a dc to get the tools. I'm surprised it took M$ them this long to release rsat.. its been almost 4 weeks

Hi all.

I had a couple of other posts in this thread:

http://www.techist.com/forums/2155113-post319.html

http://www.techist.com/forums/2155207-post325.html

I did the in-place upgrade from my Win 8.1 to Windows 10 back around the first week of August. It's been about a month, so I would now like to do a clean install from scratch. So, kind of like I mentioned in my other posts in this thread, I just want to make sure of some things.

I got the Download Tool Now (64-bit version); I put Win 10 install on a USB drive. Here's the stuff I want to make sure of:

I was checking out a video on YouTube on the installation of Win 10 via USB (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbR6XT7fcA), and it gets to the part of "Enter product key....".

In a reply to one of my previous posts in this thread, someone mentioned that I could click on the "Skip" button at this part of the install procedure, correct? Something about....since I did the in-place upgrade of Windows 10, that Microsoft will have my hardware's ID on its servers? So this way after Win 10 is installed and I go online, it will auto-activate?

Do I have that correct? :D

And, when I get to the part of the install where I choose the type of installation: I'll be installing this on the SSD that I am currently using (it had Win 8.1 on it, which I then put the in-place Win 10 upgrade onto). So with the type of installation, I want to choose "Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced)"....right?

And on the next screen of the install, since I already have a previous operating system installed, it will show this (in the YouTube video link I gave, it's at the 4:00 minute mark).

I don't want that "Windows.old" folder to show up after the clean install; I'll have already backed up all my files on another drive. So, according to the video clip, I should Delete the two previous partitions that were created.

This will then leave just a single partition, and the vid clip says just to click on Next, and that the installation will automatically format and install Windows 10. But on that screen where it says "Where do you want to install Windows?", there's also a Format button....but I take it that you don't need to click on that, rather, like the vid clip says, just click on Next and it will get formatted anyway?

So, to recap:

- When I get to the part of the install where it asks for the Product Key, I can click on the Skip button? And that later on when I go online it will auto-activate because Microsoft will recognize my hardware's ID on its servers?

- And to do a complete clean install, and not have it just write over the previous installation (and not create that Windows.old folder), I should choose "Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced)", Delete the previous partitions that were created, and then just click Next, and it will get automatically formatted?

Just making sure, guys. :p I always seem to get solid, reliable information here.

Thanks,
Pez

- When I get to the part of the install where it asks for the Product Key, I can click on the Skip button? And that later on when I go online it will auto-activate because Microsoft will recognize my hardware's ID on its servers?

That's how I did it

- And to do a complete clean install, and not have it just write over the previous installation (and not create that Windows.old folder), I should choose "Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced)", Delete the previous partitions that were created, and then just click Next, and it will get automatically formatted?

Indeedy

Hi Pezzy! Here's how I handled the W10 upgrade. I also did the upgrade to W10. I Tried it for about a week and I really didn't care for it; to many bugs for me. Before doing the upgrade I used a 3rd party imaging party(Macrium Reflect) to create a image of my OS before the up grade.
After the upgrade to W10, I created a image of W10 with Macrium Reflect. I used my image of W7 to roll back my OS. I have used the W10 image to roll back to W10. I can go back and forth when ever I choose. I also created a flash with W10 and a DVD with W10 on it. I think I have covered all my bases. When and if I decide to go back to W10, I'll probably use the Image and then do a restore to factory with the W10 reset option.
I haven't tried the reset option, but that's my plan. As I stated I think I have all bases covered.
I think your post is probably accurate and you shouldn't have any trouble. Actually the way I understand W10 is there will no longer be a key for windows and MS has the information it needs after you done the upgrade.
That's the way I understand all this W10 BS. Please post back with your results as it will be a big help for other members!
Gary!

Is the transfer of data smooth? Did any of you loose Documents, programs ect. or had to re-install it? I just want to know because I may be making the switch from Win 7 (the best) to Windows 10.

Back
Top Bottom