Office XP Service Pack Upgrade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

manleysa

Beta member
Can someone please tell me how to apply Office XP service pack 2 to an administrator install point on the network share? My goal is to deploy the Office XP msi file through group policy. When users reboot their machine, I would like Office XP (msi) to install with the latest service pack.

So far, I downloaded the admin version of service pack 2 which is two .msp files, one to upgrade the msi file and the other to upgrade the web componets file. I know they have to be applied separetly by following the below procedure by Microsoft. The only problem is, when I type in the command, I receive the error message, "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exsists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package." Here is the command I typed:

msiexec /a Admin Path\MSI File /p C:\Oxpsp2a\MSP File SHORTFILENAMES=1

Here is the procedure I followed from Microsoft:

Administrative Update
If you installed any of the products listed at the beginning of this article from a server location, the server administrator must update the server location with the administrative public update and deploy that update to your computer.

If you are the server administrator, follow these steps to download the administrative update:
Visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-us/oxpsp2a.exe

Download the file to your desktop.
In Windows Explorer, double-click Oxpsp2a.exe.
Click Yes to accept the License Agreement.
In the Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files box, type C:\Oxpsp2a, and then click OK.
Click Yes when you are prompted to create the folder.
If you are familiar with the procedure for updating your administrative installation, click Start and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box

msiexec /a Admin Path\MSI File /p C:\Oxpsp2a\MSP File SHORTFILENAMES=1

where Admin Path is the path to your administrative installation point for Office XP (for example, C:\OfficeXP),

where MSI File is the .msi database package for the Office XP product (for example, ProPlus.msi), and

where MSP File is the name of the public administrative installation update.

NOTE: You can append /qb+ to the command line, so that the Office XP Administrative Installation dialog box and the End User License Agreement dialog box do not appear.
To deploy the update to the client workstations, click Start, and then click Run. Type the following command in the Open box

msiexec /i Admin Path\MSI File REINSTALL=Feature List REINSTALLMODE=vomus

where Admin Path is the path to your administrative installation point for Office XP (for example, C:\OfficeXP),

where MSI File is the MSI database package for the Office XP product (for example, ProPlus.msi), and

where Feature List is the list of feature names (case sensitive) that have to be reinstalled for the update. To install all features, you can use REINSTALL=ALL.
NOTE: After you update your administrative installation, do not run Setup.exe, which you might have done for earlier versions of Microsoft Office. Instead, use the command line in step 8 to update your client installations.

Administrative Installation For additional information about how to update your administrative installation and deploy to client workstations, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
301348 OFFXP: How to Install a Public Update to an Administrative Installation

This article contains standard instructions for installing an administrative public update.

Or, you can see the following article in the Microsoft Office XP Resource Kit:

Please help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom