OEM version of Windows

Not really. :)
OEM Is just the OS that comes with the computer. The key should work regardless (Though, please do not take my word for it, as I have never tried using an OEM key on a retail install.) It seems like it should work.
That being said, please be careful.

Thanks BK_123. I can get to the downloads. I was wondering about the product key. My product key (xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx) has OEM in it and was not sure if it will work with the download. I installed the ISO and now find that it does not work. Its looking for a normal product key. The only thing I know to do at this point is contact MS and maybe they can help. If you or anyone else has any knowledge of my situation, I would appreciate your input.

When I got my HP laptop recently I reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium using the OEM key and I had to ring the automated system to get the code and it works fine. Contact Microsoft and just tell them you did a clean install of your OS and they should be able to fix it.

Here is the latest. I had an instructor tell the class one time after a response to a question. Engage brain before opening mouth. This is embarrassing.:eek:

I was wrong about the sticker on bottom of laptop. It was for 7 Home Premium. The OS on the laptop was 7 Ultimate. Remember, I bought this used. Apparently, someone loaded 7 Ultimate on it after it was purchased originally. I wiped everything to get a fresh start and loaded 7 Home Premium and used the product key on the sticker and it activated fine.

As far as the "OEM" being in the product ID in the system window, that's normal. Even though the product ID I used from the sticker does not have "OMD" in it, the system window product ID will. It has something to do with the manufacturer of the laptop or PC. I spoke with MS and they said everything was good to go. By the way, here is the # I called and wait time was less than 2 minutes. US only 1-866-530-6599.

Sorry for steering everyone in the wrong direction from the beginning. Lesson learned. Take a look at your sticker and then look at the product ID in the Control Panel>system and security>system, then scroll to the bottom. Does it have "OEM" in it?

Thanks to everyone who responded.

At least your problem got sorted, and that is what we are here for. :)
We have all done somthing like that in the past, so its just accepted as "it happens *shrug*".

Back
Top Bottom