Odd connection difficulties with a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleoh

Beta member
Hello there... my friend and I have a problem, a recurring one at that.

A while ago a friend and I wanted to play Starcraft, but for some odd reason, we could never connect to eachothers games. We could however, connect to other games, even while he was in there, I was able to connect.

When I tried to join his games, it just got stuck on 'connecting,' same thing for him with my games.... Then like a month later, we tried again and it worked fine, we could connect to eachothers games.

But now, of course, we are trying to play another game and cannot connect when either of us are hosting. We tested to see if we could be in the same game at the same time and turns out that we could. Just like in Starcraft. We've turned off firewalls and edited port settings so that in theory, there would be no problem connecting but alas it does not work.

At this point I am tired, frustrated, and low on coffee; I really just want to know why in god's name can we not connect to eachothers games.

Thanks in advance
~Kaleoh

Firewall settings. I've had the same issue with Civ4. Who is hosting the game? Whomever is hosting and the other cannot connect, they need to add an exception to their firewall settings.

Say you've been trying to connect to your friend but can't, more than likely his firewall setting is blocking your incoming connection. If this is the case I bet he can't host a game and have other people join either.

The same holds true if you're the one hosting the game, you need to ensure there is a firewall exception on your PC for that game and/or port used.

Its over the internet, sorry ;)

I tried turning off my firewall, same problem even when I hosted the game. But I will tell 'em to turn his off completely and see if that helps.

Thanks

From a security standpoint I would NOT suggest turning it off completely, just enable what the game needs to function.

9 out of 10 times if you google your game and connection issues, you'll find a writeup on what you need to enable for your game.

From a security standpoint I would NOT suggest turning it off completely, just enable what the game needs to function.

9 out of 10 times if you google your game and connection issues, you'll find a writeup on what you need to enable for your game.

Alright I'll give it a shot, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom