Odd Apache server behavior.

Milk_The_Elephnt

Baseband Member
Its been a while since i was last here, so hiya :)

So i'm running totally vanilla Apache 2.2 on Windows XP Home ( And Win 7 Home) I installed Apache on my main PC (7) and got it working, even got a friend in the Netherlands to access my site, which he could do no problems.
I then installed Apache on my old laptop (XP) which i use for a server for various things and also got it working first time. However, once i re-started Apache things broke. I then could only access the Apache server using the private IP with the port number on the end ( e.g 192.168.1.5:80, but tried various ports) from inside my network and no other way. I checked and this happens on both my PC and laptop and is fixed by uninstalling and re-installing Apache but then repeats itself on restarting the server.
Thanks in advance.

Do you have both instances of Apache running at the same time on the same port? Or do you have them running on separate ports? Or are you only running 1 instance on the server now, and took it off of your laptop?

Are you reconfiguring your router for port forwarding each time to point to the correct IP externally?

Is the Apache service running?

Also, did you just install Apache, or did you install WAMP?

My external IP doesnt change ( dont pay for static,but ive never seen it change.). and my internal is static.

Yes.

Apache.

Right, I understand that, but in your router's Port Forwarding config... are you forwarding the correct internal IP to port 80? Since you said you have multiple computers running Apache (and I'm assuming they're both on default Port 80), you would only be able to run 1 at a time, and make sure you have your router's port forwarding setup correctly to the right internal (private) IP.

You know when you've checked everything and are sure its all correct, but you've missed that tiny little thing which messes up everything?
Yeah, on my router you have to enable the port forwards with a check box. i hadn't checked the box for the port forward to my laptop but had it checked for the one to my PC.

Its all working perfectly now.

Many thanks for attempting to solve a problem which was all my fault and frankly, unsolvable with a forum post :p
I feel stupid now XD

Back
Top Bottom