OCing a GTX 285 (newby)

woody84

Baseband Member
I have this Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130484

Antec 1200 case
intel i7 820 stock
6G Ram

I'm trying to get the most out of the Graphics card, I have the evga precision tool. I will not lie, I don't totally even understand what I'm doing with it!
I have just pushed up the slider bars assuming that more is better.
I typically set the fan to 85%.
Playing Crysis, I usually don't get above 75-80 degrees (is that safe)

Then I have just been raising the other setting a little each time and no problems.

just figured I should ask around before I break something.

What settings do other people with a similar set up run?
what is the best way to test the settings?

thanks in advance

shouldn't a 285 run anything these days?

i would consider oc'ing @ a later time when it becomes a little more outdated

I 100% agree. No need to OC that card at all. You can set all settings to max and still have it run smooth on all games right now. Wait for the next big game to come out that pushes graphic cards to new heights before you start to OC.

the size of the monitor has nothing to do with how much it demands from your graphics...

Its resolution is what is important, ex:

my 22in screen requires more to play games on, then..
my 37in Vizio.

the size of the monitor has nothing to do with how much it demands from your graphics...

my 37in Vizio.

I am playing Crysis

ahhhh... Yeah I'm cranking up the Resolution.
I have not had a Computer worth Gaming on for about 4 years. so now I'm trying to catchup on Resolutions and whatnot.

I guess that's what google is for.

I 100% agree. No need to OC that card at all. You can set all settings to max and still have it run smooth on all games right now. Wait for the next big game to come out that pushes graphic cards to new heights before you start to OC.

when I have Crysis "scan computer for best setting" or whatever, It puts everything on "Gamer" not "Enthusiast"

I just started to play with FRAPS. have not gotten too into anything yet.

I just don't want to do something stupid and fry something or screw something up because I'm messing with settings I know nothing about.

then just set it to enthusiast settings and see how it plays...

if i can play crysis on my 4850 at highest settings an get 25fps, i doubt that u need to overclock a 285

yeah, some quick searches show me that my problems have been trying to up the anti-aliasing. I thought that was an important part of how the game looked but from what I'm seeing it's about the worst [benefit to power needed] setting.

I better be ok then since right now I'm on "Gamer" with like 16x anti-aliasing huh?

thanks for the advice, I won't mess with the thing for a while and just try fixing all the settings in the game.

i would consider oc'ing @ a later time when it becomes a little more outdated
No need to OC that card at all.
wtf_is_this_shit.jpg

Here you go OP, I wrote a guide about overclocking video cards but it was never made a sticky which I was kinda pissed about. :D

my 37in Vizio.

LMFAO!!! why do you think i would say he has a huge monitor. THUS he has a large resolution :rolleyes:

but nice try ;)

and yes the higher the resolution its gonna take more graphic computing to get a decent look. so he should OC

Back
Top Bottom