OCing a AM2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanjo

In Runtime
Hi everyone,
I want to look at overclocking my new (in 2 days, but not looking at OCing ASAP) PC. I dont want to hugely OC it to avoid ruining it. Maybe just 200Mhz for the CPU, and I have vTuner for my graphics card. Specs:
AMD 3200+ Socket AM2
Gigabyte 6600GT (apparently has some sort of fancy cooling, Silent Pipe II)
512MB DDR2-533 RAM
160GB SATA-II HDD
Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G Motherboard (http://ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=346728)
Thinks thats all the important stuff...
Can you recommend some FSB/Multiplier speeds and some volts? (And if applicable RAM timings/OC speeds)
Thanks.

For 200mhtz you shouldn't need to up the voltage at all and the ram should be able to take it even if it is value ram.

You should have gotten DDR800 or low latency DDR667.

To up the frequency to 200mhtz - all you have to do is multiply the FSB times the multiplier. I think the 3200 (for 939 any way) is 200 x10 so if you want to OC it to a 3500+, all you have to do is change it to 220 x10 = 2.2Ghtz.

So you think just changing the FSB to 220Mhz would work? I read in a article that i would need to change the ram speed if i changed the FSB otherwise the ram wouldnt support it, or would that only apply if i raised the FSB higher than 266Mhz? (on DDR2-533)

Err the ram , at least in my system, changes its own speed according to the FSB... its set up to be *2 from my FSB, but I can lower it or push it to *2.5~*4 from my FSB if im correct it should be same about you'r pc also, but don't quote me on this, check you'r BIOs.

Yep, but its not just randomly changing the speed of you'r ram, its multiplied by a specific value, it can be as I said *1.5 from you'r FSB or even *4 from you'r FSB (The ram multiplier)

Well of course, because adding another stick of ram will increase the overall bandwith flow, not just the MHz per cycle that the cpu does

You should seriously get DDR2-800.... Boards and the processors are very buggy with odd number ram like 533... But you should easily be able to go from 200*10 to 220*10 with no voltage adjustments, might have to run a divider on the ram, but makesure the PCI, PCIe speeds are locked, and make sure you lower your LTD down, I have noticed they don't do it automatically, atleast on the MSI K9N Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom