Occupy Wallstreet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote for the Death Penalty for all OWS protesters.

Wow. I don't think I need to actually voice what is wrong with that statement, and if anyone doesn't understand why it's wrong, I think there's something broken in their head. I'm starting to remember why I stopped coming here so often.

Not everyone involved in the movement is genuine, which is the danger to having a public movement in the first place. But it's not just about making money, it also involves things such as how "too big to fail" banks get government handouts, tax loopholes for large corporations not being closed or taken care of, and the richest 1% paying less percentage of taxes overall than people that make far less money, widening the income gap even further (thanks to lax capital gains and investment tax rules).

Sure, some people probably want handouts, you get them everywhere, and I don't agree with that. But the main focus is to make things fair for everyone as opposed to the big banks and corporations, along with those mega rich people a lot of politicians on both sides cater to. What's wrong with wanting that?

So back to the death penalty for all OWS protesters...how about the police that are injuring the people who aren't even doing anything violent in the first place? Like, oh, I don't know, a DISABLED VETERAN? Dwight Harris was in a wheelchair posing no threat, and DC police slammed him to the ground face first, resulting in a pool of blood poring out of his head and needing stitches. Video below if you don't believe me.

Let's also look at the police in Occupy Oakland, who used crowd control methods that aren't even allowed in an ACTIVE WARZONE. Such as shooting a 40mm gas canister point blank at a veteran's (Scott Olsen) head, then throwing flash bang grenades in the middle of a crowd trying to help him, since he was immediately rendered unconscious from the blow to the head, not to mention bleeding all over the place.

And I don't think I really have to mention Anthony Bologna and his trigger-happy mace finger on people already barricaded in by police cones, not doing anything or posing any threat to anyone...So how do the occupy protestors deserve the death penalty more than police mortally wounding others who pose no threat?

Not to mention most people don't even understand the protests in the first place, and make assumptions based on who attends them. If any of you actually give a crap about understanding what it's about, or reading about the crazy things police have done in retaliation, links below. Keep in mind I don't condone any violence, whether it be from any Occupy movement or the police, and you will have bad apples in any group, but that doesn't invalidate an entire movement.

Marine Says Oakland Used Crowd Control Methods That Are Prohibited In War Zones
30 Major Corporations Paid No Income Taxes In The Last Three Years, While Making $160 Billion | ThinkProgress
ANALYSIS: Warren Buffett Would Pay As Little As 0.2 Percent Tax Rate Under Rick Perry's Tax Plan | ThinkProgress
Veteran in critical condition after police assault at Occupy Oakland — RT
Wall Street Isn't Winning It's Cheating | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone
Raw Footage: Police officers on video throwing old man in wheelchair onto sidewalk. - YouTube

Wow. I don't think I need to actually voice what is wrong with that statement, and if anyone doesn't understand why it's wrong, I think there's something broken in their head. I'm starting to remember why I stopped coming here so often.

Not everyone involved in the movement is genuine, which is the danger to having a public movement in the first place. But it's not just about making money, it also involves things such as how "too big to fail" banks get government handouts, tax loopholes for large corporations not being closed or taken care of, and the richest 1% paying less percentage of taxes overall than people that make far less money, widening the income gap even further (thanks to lax capital gains and investment tax rules).

Sure, some people probably want handouts, you get them everywhere, and I don't agree with that. But the main focus is to make things fair for everyone as opposed to the big banks and corporations, along with those mega rich people a lot of politicians on both sides cater to. What's wrong with wanting that?

So back to the death penalty for all OWS protesters...how about the police that are injuring the people who aren't even doing anything violent in the first place? Like, oh, I don't know, a DISABLED VETERAN? Dwight Harris was in a wheelchair posing no threat, and DC police slammed him to the ground face first, resulting in a pool of blood poring out of his head and needing stitches. Video below if you don't believe me.

Let's also look at the police in Occupy Oakland, who used crowd control methods that aren't even allowed in an ACTIVE WARZONE. Such as shooting a 40mm gas canister point blank at a veteran's (Scott Olsen) head, then throwing flash bang grenades in the middle of a crowd trying to help him, since he was immediately rendered unconscious from the blow to the head, not to mention bleeding all over the place.

And I don't think I really have to mention Anthony Bologna and his trigger-happy mace finger on people already barricaded in by police cones, not doing anything or posing any threat to anyone...So how do the occupy protestors deserve the death penalty more than police mortally wounding others who pose no threat?

Not to mention most people don't even understand the protests in the first place, and make assumptions based on who attends them. If any of you actually give a crap about understanding what it's about, or reading about the crazy things police have done in retaliation, links below. Keep in mind I don't condone any violence, whether it be from any Occupy movement or the police, and you will have bad apples in any group, but that doesn't invalidate an entire movement.

Marine Says Oakland Used Crowd Control Methods That Are Prohibited In War Zones
30 Major Corporations Paid No Income Taxes In The Last Three Years, While Making $160 Billion | ThinkProgress
ANALYSIS: Warren Buffett Would Pay As Little As 0.2 Percent Tax Rate Under Rick Perry's Tax Plan | ThinkProgress
Veteran in critical condition after police assault at Occupy Oakland — RT
Wall Street Isn't Winning It's Cheating | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone
Raw Footage: Police officers on video throwing old man in wheelchair onto sidewalk. - YouTube
First of all, I believe his statement was highly sarcastic. I find it quite funny how defensive Occupyers get on their "stance" against the man.

Second of all, I have seen the crap going on in Dallas right now and can actually say the people are being just as dumb as the police on the matter. They just want the people to go home so they can get back to their "other police work".....whatever that means (I suspect doughnuts on a lookout). You would be surprised at exactly how many intelligent people actually know what it's about and either oppose it, hate it, or wish it would just die away. Not every one watches mainstream news and succumbs to their every word and motion. It's also not hard for people to simply Google the movement to find out its true meaning then listen to what some of the people are saying and realize over half of them people want something for nothing. I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but people like you need to realize that only a handful of these Occupy people have legit intentions. The rest just feel the Government owe them something or have literally no idea what it's about.

First of all, I believe his statement was highly sarcastic. I find it quite funny how defensive Occupyers get on their "stance" against the man.

Second of all, I have seen the crap going on in Dallas right now and can actually say the people are being just as dumb as the police on the matter. They just want the people to go home so they can get back to their "other police work".....whatever that means (I suspect doughnuts on a lookout). You would be surprised at exactly how many intelligent people actually know what it's about and either oppose it, hate it, or wish it would just die away. Not every one watches mainstream news and succumbs to their every word and motion. It's also not hard for people to simply Google the movement to find out its true meaning then listen to what some of the people are saying and realize over half of them people want something for nothing. I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but people like you need to realize that only a handful of these Occupy people have legit intentions. The rest just feel the Government owe them something or have literally no idea what it's about.

People like me? If you mean people who like to think for themselves and do research of their own instead of coddling the mainstream media's views (which, if you've actually been paying attention, have mostly been AGAINST the Occupy movement, the front runners of which being Fox News), then I'm proud to be that kind of person.

But you're 100% right, it IS super easy to google the reasons behind the Occupy movement...so why don't more people do it instead of making baseless accusations on the intentions? In this thread alone, all I've seen written is about how people want to make more money, want a bigger piece of the pie, which is just downright wrong. And pardon me for saying so, but I haven't seen a vast majority of "intelligent" people oppose the movement for legitimate reasons. I'm sure there are a few, but with all the reading and watching I've been doing, they are few and far between.

Also, I highly doubt the comment was sarcastic, especially followed by a clear and concise opinion stated in all seriousness.

So please tell me, what is it you disagree with? Why do you hate the Occupy movement? I'd love to hear clear reasoning. And please, PLEASE don't try to tell me it's lessening our reputation with other countries, because that is a ridiculous notion when the rest of the world already thought poorly of the US before 2009. I want to hear a straight reason why you are against people being angry about corporations making more money than ever, rich people getting taxed less by percentage, and banks getting bailouts.

hikaricloud said:

I was joking of course, like when people say the Death Penalty for Parking Tickets.

hikaricloud said:
it also involves things such as how "too big to fail" banks get government handouts, tax loopholes for large corporations not being closed or taken care of, and the richest 1% paying less percentage of taxes overall than people that make far less money, widening the income gap even further (thanks to lax capital gains and investment tax rules).

Everything you said means the OWS protesters are in the wrong place. They should be camped out at the White House. The White House gave the Banks handouts, the White House is against Tax Reform. The White House doesn't want to close Loopholes they just want to raise taxes. And I hate to tell you but the 1% pays the majority of the taxes in this country, unless your a friend of the White House (as in General Electric).

hikaricloud said:
But the main focus is to make things fair for everyone as opposed to the big banks and corporations, along with those mega rich people a lot of politicians on both sides cater to. What's wrong with wanting that?

Fair is allowing successful people and companies to be successful. Fair is not, Once you make a certain amount you have to give it away. If you really want to tax a class of people more, then why not target the rich and useless like Movie Stars, Rock Stars and Professional Athletes.

And I have no sympathy for any protester that gets hurt. They shouldn't be allowed to illegally protest without following all the rules that apply to every other group that wants to protest or hold a rally. The protesters are trashing public and private property, there's rampage drug use, thievery, sex and even murders happening.

Considering a large number of the protesters are actually Union Members, who are more entitled than their non Union Members, the OWS movement is a farce. The actual number of valid protesters are a super small percentage of the actual population of the United States and we the majority are tired of the minority complaining for more.

Your Liberal Sources are just that, their only using the data that makes their opinion sound good.

Warren Buffet says he pays less in personal taxes that his secretary but in reality she pays a higher rate, which is different, many folks no doubt have been confused into thinking that she pays more, and she doesn't. The real problem with Warren Buffet is that his company only pays him $100,000 and not the Million dollar salary everyone thinks he makes. But his company makes a lot of money, but the company just reinvests that cash and then it doesn't have to pay taxes on it unless the investment is sold. And as it stands his company owes the government a lot of money that he's not paying until the IRS forces him to.

The White House and Buffett are misleading you, because IRS data show the rich already pay more in federal taxes than the lower brackets. Which is why even Europe's Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development says the U.S. tax system is one of the most progressive in the world.

hikaricloud said:
Not to mention most people don't even understand the protests in the first place

I understand, but the reality is the protesters don't understand the system their protesting.

Everything you said means the OWS protesters are in the wrong place. They should be camped out at the White House. The White House gave the Banks handouts, the White House is against Tax Reform. The White House doesn't want to close Loopholes they just want to raise taxes. And I hate to tell you but the 1% pays the majority of the taxes in this country, unless your a friend of the White House (as in General Electric).

A) They are camped outside the White House. Occupy DC. B) You're right, and look who the majority is.

Does anybody remember the slogan "main street, not Wall Street"? So why is it now that Wall Street is blameless on anything that's happened in recent years? Also, GE has been one of the biggest crap companies for decades now in laying people off and increasing profits to the CEOs, and tax evading. There's no denying that fact. (ironically, Michael Moore has talked more about GE than anyone, yet he's lauded as a liberal jerk who just likes to incite things.)

Fair is allowing successful people and companies to be successful. Fair is not, Once you make a certain amount you have to give it away. If you really want to tax a class of people more, then why not target the rich and useless like Movie Stars, Rock Stars and Professional Athletes.

No one said they weren't allowed to be successful, just pay the fair share of taxes. Sure, if you put a dollar amount on how much they pay in taxes, they do pay more on average than a normal person. It's all about percentages. I would hope someone that makes millions a year would pay more in a dollar amount than someone making 30k a year. Also, I don't see too many movie stars, rock stars, and professional athletes on the "richest people in the world" list. I see people that run companies that do loads of tax evasion, something that became much easier in the early 80's I might add.

And I have no sympathy for any protester that gets hurt. They shouldn't be allowed to illegally protest without following all the rules that apply to every other group that wants to protest or hold a rally. The protesters are trashing public and private property, there's rampage drug use, thievery, sex and even murders happening.

A) Allowed by the constitution so long as it's peaceful, and the ones I have spoken about have been. B) Yes, there are people joining the PUBLIC cause with their own ulterior motives, or hiding from the law. As I said, it's inevitable if it's a public movement. But to say you have no sympathy for ANY protestor? So because there are a few bad apples per bushel, everyone deserves to get shot in the head by a "non-lethal projectile"? If the occupy movement has a fault, it's having a difficult time policing those that get into the movement for different reasons than the goal of the movement.

Considering a large number of the protesters are actually Union Members, who are more entitled than their non Union Members, the OWS movement is a farce. The actual number of valid protesters are a super small percentage of the actual population of the United States and we the majority are tired of the minority complaining for more.

I'd like to know what you consider a "majority". You know who else is a minority? The NRA. And they have lobbyists and get pretty much anything they want. Last time I checked, OWS doesn't have lobbyists to ask for handouts.

Your Liberal Sources are just that, their only using the data that makes their opinion sound good.

Think Progress is progressive, not liberal. They don't coddle to the democrats, and actually, a lot of the "liberal sources" I listen to or read actually aren't happy with Obama and the job he's been doing. The only difference from "conservative media" is they have valid reasons.

Also, RT.com, BI.com, and youtube.com are all HIGHLY liberal sources. That was sarcasm. By the way.

Warren Buffet says he pays less in personal taxes that his secretary but in reality she pays a higher rate, which is different, many folks no doubt have been confused into thinking that she pays more, and she doesn't. The real problem with Warren Buffet is that his company only pays him $100,000 and not the Million dollar salary everyone thinks he makes. But his company makes a lot of money, but the company just reinvests that cash and then it doesn't have to pay taxes on it unless the investment is sold.

I've already gone over this point...it's not just about income taxes. It's about capital gains and investment taxes, which he himself has said. When he says he pays less, he means in percentage, not in dollars. Again, if someone makes a lot more money than me, I'd still want them to pay the same percentage as me at least, and that includes ALL sources of revenue.

The White House and Buffett are misleading you, because IRS data show the rich already pay more in federal taxes than the lower brackets. Which is why even Europe's Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development says the U.S. tax system is one of the most progressive in the world.

Already addressed multiple times. I'm not an idiot, and I'm not being "mislead". If I make 30k and I pay 6k in taxes, I'd want someone making 3mil (INCLUDING capital gains and investments, just in case I have to mention them again) to be paying 600k in taxes. I think that's only fair.

Think Progress is progressive, not liberal. They don't coddle to the democrats, and actually, a lot of the "liberal sources" I listen to or read actually aren't happy with Obama and the job he's been doing. The only difference from "conservative media" is they have valid reasons.

Progressive's are most certainly what the average person would consider "liberal", they are just farther to the left than the Democrats.

Wall Street isn't blameless, if I remember correctly the Tea party opposed the bailouts and they actually got a lot of candidates that supported their views elected rather than just destroying public property and inciting violence.

Also no offense but a lot of the people involved in OWS don't strike me as intellectual heavyweights.

Personally I am fine with a flat tax rate if people really want to go that route, oddly enough the only people who seem to want that are generally well to the right side of the spectrum while Progressives claim it is unfair.

Progressives aren't "farther to the left" than democrats, progressives just go with whatever makes sense, regardless of party lines.

Also, don't get me started on the Tea Party. It won't end well.

Progressives aren't "farther to the left" than democrats, progressives just go with whatever makes sense, regardless of party lines.

Also, don't get me started on the Tea Party. It won't end well.

Everyone claims their group is the only one that makes sense. Show me a progressive that isn't on the far left and then you may have a point but every one I have ever seen makes the average Democrat look like a Libertarian.

Like them or not the Tea Party did more to stop future bailouts from happening then OWS will likely ever do.

Like them or not the Tea Party did more to stop future bailouts from happening then OWS will likely ever do.

Somehow I doubt that. Ever since they've been elected into office, I haven't heard anything really worth even talking about. The only thing I agree with is sadly, OWS probably won't make the difference it wants to, not because the movement isn't important, but because of people with limited view perspectives. I think a lot of OWS protestors realize that what they are doing may not amount to anything, but they don't care. They are protesting for what they believe in, and that should be good enough.

I will point out though, if it was the Tea Party protesting, there wouldn't be as much of an outcry in the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom