OC past 4GHZ? AMD X4

steve10765

Daemon Poster
So I want to go higher than a 24/7 overclock at 4GHZ... I dont think its such a good idea... I am already at 1.52 Vcore and at 178 Watts on my CPU under full load, my mobo says 140 Watt CPU ready...
I think its not safe to try to go over a 4GHZ 24/7 OC. I can get to 4.1 GHZ without changing the Vcore above 1.52, but Its not stable once I start doing hard work.

Temps are not a problem, I am at 58C max(62C on stock cooler at stock clocks). Thats with the CPU fan at 75%. I could add my Sythe Kaze 110CFM fan to my CPU-Cooler master hyper 212 EVO-

Anyway I dont think its safe to overclock anymore. I think I am right, but Sometimes I am too scared so to speak, like before when I was new to comps I stuck to a 3.7GHZ OC with my cooler master.

(AMD Cool n' Quite enabled so I am not always at 4GHZ, but I game a lot so it is at 4GHZ more than half the time)

i couldnt get my phenom II 965B passed 3.8ghz. i even did a slush box with a H50, you put the radiator in a bucket of ice water, my load temp was 13°, i pumped that thing up to 1.65 volts and booted her up... corrupted the operating system and fried my mother board....

just back it off a bit and be happy with what you have ;) its not worth the chase, you wont see any real world performance increase.

you would see a lot more performance if you sell your gtx 560 and upgrade to a current gen card, a 760+ would really set your build up to last you a couple more years.

i couldnt get my phenom II 965B passed 3.8ghz. i even did a slush box with a H50, you put the radiator in a bucket of ice water, my load temp was 13°, i pumped that thing up to 1.65 volts and booted her up... corrupted the operating system and fried my mother board....

just back it off a bit and be happy with what you have ;) its not worth the chase, you wont see any real world performance increase.

you would see a lot more performance if you sell your gtx 560 and upgrade to a current gen card, a 760+ would really set your build up to last you a couple more years.

Pretty much this. I was going to reply this morning but my internet has been down all day. Anyways your CPU stock isn't even holding you back so like I've said before just be happy you're at 4GHz. Don't risk frying anything for no noticeable performance.

You'll get way more performance getting a new GPU.

I wasnt really thinking about performance, just bragging rights maybe.
I plan on OC'in my graphics card more when the weather permits. I know this card can do it good. There are plenty of tutorials around for me so i can decide weather i should or not. The thermal limit for this card before it throttles is probably 85C or so, I am at about 77C max,

I have been pondering applying some arctic silver MX4 that I have, but I dont think it will be worth it for only like a 2C dif after it will have after it settles. Maybe in a year or so when I am feeling for a new graphics cards and maybe a monitor at some point.

theres no bragging rights left in that hardware bro, not sure there ever was, thats 2009 tech. like i said, just be happy with what you have.

theres no bragging rights left in that hardware bro, not sure there ever was, thats 2009 tech. like i said, just be happy with what you have.

lol yeah, i forgot, my cpu is old.

Now your TV OC'd is unique, never heard of that before

with Nvidia's drivers for their higher end cards ( not sure exactly what the lowest card you can get that will let you do it ) you can over clock the refresh rate of your monitor, my monitor out of the box is a 60hz monitor, i overclocked it to 75hz successfully.

that thing must be hot as hell when you put your hand over it. I assume thats probably and IPS panel and I dont know much about those other than they are better.

They have a higher color gamut/accuracy than TN....usually. Upping the refresh isn't what I'd call OCing it, but for simplicity I suppose it works. Most monitors can handle higher than what they are rated but usually most panels are set as a safe default to 60 because it's the norm unless advertised otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom