Obligation?

vampist

Fully Optimized
Ok here is a situation, you tell me if I am obligated to it some how.

I have a site, this site is say... A social networking site.
There are private messages built like a mail system. Just like PMs (lol pms) on this site.

Now, say someone where to do something illegal such as contact someone and like.. murder them.

If the cops come to me am I obligated to have all messages sent and received.

I ask this because it will change how I set up the mail situation.

From just "hiding" the mail from that user so they think it was "deleted".
To actually deleting an entry in the database.

Only if they have a search warrant.

Edit: This isn't supposed to go under "Hosting".

Only if they have a search warrant.

Edit: This isn't supposed to go under "Hosting".

Well I figured it was general "web server" type question.

Yes this is what I mean. If the Police/FBI/ATF who ever.. Come to you with a warrant.

Just so I know you and everyone else get the question completely.

Yes I know I would have to hand over the messages sent on the website.
But, do I have to backup those messages in case something like this would occur.
Am I obligated to create backups of all users movements, comments, messages, etc?
Is it possible to state that "<website name>.com" does not collect any information thus freeing me of this?

Just hand over any information related to the search warrant. Webmasters should not be held accountable for unknowingly deleting any important information pertaining to a trial.

Is it possible to state that "<website name>.com" does not collect any information thus freeing me of this?

They'd be able to poke holes through this disclaimer. You're going to need legal assistance in order to write up a proper disclaimer.

I'd suggest you go to an online legal/law forum for specifics. I'm relying on common sense here.

Back
Top Bottom