o/ or for you non Eve players, hallo!

Indigo

Fully Optimized
I've been looking for a new forum to hang out on that encompassed technology for a little while now - getting tired of the straight up B.S. on a former favorite hangout of mine which never seemed to garner anything but spite and distrust for anyone who had a differing opinion - I know that generalizes a lot of web forums out there, but having been a member of that site for a while and watching the downward spiral, it was kind of disheartening.

I was also a moderator on a teen based web forum, but seeing as how I'm over 10 years past my teen years, I figured it was time to abandon ship before someone in conversations elsewhere asked me what I was still doing posting on that site. :eek:

I don't see many greeting threads in here, so I hope I'm not totally out of place by doing this "formally" but I thought it might help you mods rest a little easier if you saw someone who took his 1st post seriously on the forum after just joining.

I'm pretty easy going, have my own opinions but never let them get in the way of a good recommendation (my nickname is short for opterongeek, so you can see right away where my loyalties lie in general) but I believe in equal access to technology - no user, regardless of experience level should be spoken-down to just because their level of expertise is lower than someone else.

Hey og! Welcome to CF!

You posted in the right section. I'm glad to see that you plan on staying long-term (at least more than just a technical question :D). You know, on the Intel v AMD thing, everyone has opinions and stuff. I've owned both, I like both. AMD chips are fun to overclock, but I think Intel has a more effective chip architecture. Again, just opinions. I've seen some crazy clocked opterons. Would you happen to carry any of those? I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks! No doubt, I never try to shove my opinions on anyone - who likes a techno-evangelist anyway? :)

I use AMD primarily at home, but my laptop is a Dell 1530M with a Core 2 Duo T9300 in it which is great, and my boss at work let me build an i7-920 for my workstation, so I'm getting to try both sides of the fence these days. For general computing, there's no real difference, though I have to say the AMD at home feels a little smoother, but that might just be usage patterns and the different architecture setups (work PC is using an Intel 40GB SSD and 750 GB platter drive, and home is running RAID 0 on dual Raptor 150-X's with two other platter storage drives).

It's all fun in the end!

Not to interrupt, but welcome to the forums. I too was a lost soul with no good forum to post on. So from one forum noob to another, you found a good forum to be akin to IMHO. Where abouts in Colorado do you live?

lol. I'm in the Springs', InfectionZero.

I actually did a comparison with my thoughts on my blog.

http://www.opterongeek.net/wp1/?p=273

The Intel 40GB SSD didn't blow me away, and it is pretty much a tie in terms of productivity, and unfortunately 40GB just isn't enough to really do much with, but my boss basically handed me a check for $1100 and said "build whatever you want" so I thought I'd try it out. If I had known, I probably would've picked a new 600GB Raptor instead. oh well. I'm sure the SandForce drives that are 128GB+ are infinitely faster than that 40GB is.

Back
Top Bottom