nvidia GPU's

Buy or hold off?

• Wait until reviewers have thoroughly tested and posted results?

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Be the early adopter and pre order?

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Wait until AMD has something to offer?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep what you have and wait for next gen?

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
I wouldn't take Nvidia's word for naming since there's competition. Anything can change because of competition even naming. Due to other bigger factors, of course.

I guess then it's a matter of how much better it is? But even then, it will still be cheaper and faster. Good enough to choose 3070 but not necessarily good to upgrade from 2080Ti.

I wouldn't take Nvidia's word for naming since there's competition. Anything can change because of competition even naming. Due to other bigger factors, of course.
The 3090 is the full implementation of the GA102 GPU meaning there can't be anything better within this generation outside of a chip refresh. The only thing they can do from here is muddy the waters downstream ala ti or Super cards. There's no doubt in my mind there is a 3080ti SKU just waiting as a response to whatever AMD releases. In my mind it would be an upped VRAM version since the gap between 3080 and 3090 shader wise isn't that far apart. There's also room for a 3060 that can easily match a 2080ti in performance with second gen RT and Tensor cores for a 400-450 dollar price. This 3060 potential is why I used a literal phrase like "they make everything else obsolete".
I guess then it's a matter of how much better it is? But even then, it will still be cheaper and faster. Good enough to choose 3070 but not necessarily good to upgrade from 2080Ti.
Purely from a shader standpoint it would be about the same gap between a 1080ti and 2080ti. Since there's clearly more IPC/efficiency involved including memory bandwidth it appears it'd be a good gap.

You guys think the new cards will have some kinda implementation that reduces CPU load reducing bottlenecking possibilities? Many wonder if their old-ish CPU's can handle the lower high-end cards like the so far revealed 3070. I know my i5 10600k can easily handle it, but not sure about later 4c/8t i7's.

Nothing a GPU can do will reduce a bottleneck outside of RTX IO, but that's a storage bottleneck relieving CPU overhead rather than reduce a pure CPU bottleneck. People tend to forget that we're still using Skylake architecture in Intel CPUs, anybody with a 6700k or better will be fine, granted they might need an OC.

I am planning on building a new desktop in the near future so these releases have my interest. I will be waiting for benchmarks since I won't be building anything right away. Also hoping for a Ti/Super version. From what I've read (albeit briefly) AMD will slot in between the 3070 and 3080. Still a pretty big jump for them performance wise over the last few years from what I've seen.. Next gen should be interesting...

Also hoping for a Ti/Super version.
Pretty sure they have variants of the 70 and 80 waiting in preparation for RX6000 numbers.
Still a pretty big jump for them performance wise over the last few years from what I've seen
Eh, kinda. A whole generation just to go from 2080 to 2080ti performance is very.....meh IMO. It took Nvidia a whole gen to get away from Pascal level performance entirely, and 2 gens for AMD. We know they can do it, with 12TFLOP levels in the consoles. Kinda makes me wonder if they're holding out.

I'm still afraid my 3700x is going to bottleneck my new card.

Got a 2070 Super at the end of 2019, and I can play Crusader Kings 3 at max in 4K, so I'm not fussed quite yet. I might be interested in a 3070 or 3080 post-Cyberpunk after I see how the 2070 Super deals with it :)

Got a 2070 Super at the end of 2019, and I can play Crusader Kings 3 at max in 4K, so I'm not fussed quite yet. I might be interested in a 3070 or 3080 post-Cyberpunk after I see how the 2070 Super deals with it :)
Since recommended for that title is a 2060 I'm going to guess it'll perform a little less than what you'd want. Definitely no 4k.

Since recommended for that title is a 2060 I'm going to guess it'll perform a little less than what you'd want. Definitely no 4k.
Keep in mind, I'm not really fussed about some things like RTX or some of the other fancier settings - I'll be happy with 4K@60 at whatever settings are required for that.

Back
Top Bottom