NTFS file system BSOD when imaging computers with win10 1903

mikee

Fully Optimized
I use active@ disk image to image computers I have at work which worked fine in 1809 and below but now I have made a new image with 1903 and every imaged computer gets an NTFS FILE SYSTEM BSOD. All settings are the same as they were in previous versions when it comes to creating the disk image. I use sysprep so that the computer goes through the OOBE to create new accounts and that always worked in the past.

I have tried creating the disk image several times using several different computers and all get the same result

possibly a recent driver issue or an external drive error. read this:
https://wintechlab.com/ntfs-file-system-error-windows-10/

Possibly your image has a corrupt file system?
Re-download another 1903 version and try another image?

I'm not sure the file system is corrupt. I made several attempted images all of which do this. As well as a hard drive clone to an SSD using different cloning software and I still got the NTFS FILE SYSTEM bsod. Using the same methods on systems running 1809 I don't get the bsod

It might be the fact that version 1903 now adds 7gb of extra hard drive space for update files?
https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-version-1903-to-reserve-7gb-of-disk-space-for-updates
When using an image this space it might not be getting added like it would during an install. Not sure if 1903 is creating an extra partition to do this. (This is my guesstimate) But if the extra 7gb space reserved for updates and ect. is not on a pc with an earlier version this might be a cause for this error?
“Reserved storage will be introduced automatically on devices that come with version 1903 pre-installed or those where 1903 was clean installed,” wrote Jesse Rajwan, Program Manager at Microsoft.

When you stated you attempted to clone the o.s. are you cloning the entire drive space with all the partitions or just the C: partition/Windows o.s. partition?

EDIT: I have 1903 on the grand kids pc and looking into Disk Management I see two partitions on a 500gb SSD drive. The first partition is the System Reserved and it is 549 MB the Windows partition C: is 465.22GB. This pc was upgraded from version 1809.

Last edited:
I could see that possibly one pc having a drive with bad sectors or something like that but not on multiple computers. 1903 does have a 32gb hdd size limitation but other than that I would not think it would matter what was on the drive because everything gets wiped on the drive that your cloning to.

Back
Top Bottom