Not detecting new hard drive?

vmcgreevy

Beta member
Computer: HP Compaq DC5800 Microtower
New Hard drive: Samsung HD103SJ (SATA 1 TB)

My last HD was giving me problems, so I bought a new Samsung one.

I also can't even access my BIOS, the only options im getting is F9 (boot menu) & F10 (Setup) which brings me in a Hewlett-Packard Setup Utility which appears to be a more limited version of usual BIOS options you get.

So I plugged the new hard drive in, and choose to boot from CD-ROM (im trying to install Windows 7, previous installation was Windows XP.

As soon as I select this option im getting the error "Non-system disk or disk error" "replace and strike any key when ready". This type of error would tell me that it can't detect the HD, but when i got into the setup (F10) it lists the new hard drive in there (SATA0).

Another have any ideas?

I also can't even access my BIOS, the only options im getting is F9 (boot menu) & F10 (Setup) which brings me in a Hewlett-Packard Setup Utility which appears to be a more limited version of usual BIOS options you get.

That's what you get with OEM systems. Sucks, but HP is especially bad about it.

It's possible that the hard drive controller isn't windows native, so you may need drivers to get the OS to see the hard drive. I can't find one for that system, so something else is amiss. What do you mean by the last HDD was giving you problems?

Back
Top Bottom